Alianza Americas is a network of migrant-led organizations working in the United States and transnationally to create an inclusive, equitable and sustainable way of life for communities across North, Central and South America.
Primary Role: The Development and Communications Coordinator’s primary responsibilities will be to research, develop, and manage a coordinated strategy for institutional fundraising for Alianza Americas as well as produce communication materials for English-speaking audiences in the form of blogs, Op-Eds, e-blasts, etc. This will include grant-writing, research on new funding opportunities, positioning for external audiences, and report-writing. The Development Coordinator will also play a support role in individual fundraising, including written appeals. The Development Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director, the Senior Advisor, the communications team, the Managing Director and program leads to ensure that proposals are developed according to organizational and programmatic priorities, and that key messages are conveyed to foundations, allies, and donors. The Coordinator may also assist with other communications and administrative functions, including writing, editing, and project management.
Manage and implement institutional fundraising efforts (75%)
- Research new funding opportunities; accompany the Executive Director in funder calls.
- Manage grant applications and write grant proposals – writing and coordination with program staff; budget coordination with Managing Director.
- Monitor systems for data tracking and engage with program staff to ensure information is available for timely reports.
- Create, maintain, and manage foundation grants calendar—LOI/proposals/reports due dates, requests for additional information.
- Prepare grant reports and assist in creation of reports for other internal and external audiences.
- Supervise any supporting staff, interns, or contractors, in coordination with the Managing Director.
Create communications materials for new audiences (25%)
- Collaborate with communications coordinator to implement communications plan.
- Lead communications projects for English-speaking audiences.
- Develop outreach and engagement strategies for communities of faith and other new audiences.
- Write or assist in the writing and publishing of blogs, op-eds, policy briefs and other materials for coordinated advocacy efforts.
As a member of the professional team, the Development Coordinator will also be expected to take an active role in program planning, as well as planning and carrying out the Annual Leadership Assembly, and bi-annual board meetings, as well as weekly staff meetings, monthly membership calls, and other outreach activities with members, as requested by the Executive Director or the Senior Advisor.
- Degree in communications, marketing, journalism, social work, or a related field; or equivalent practical experience in these fields.
- Work closely with Communications Director and Management to establish plans for promoting events and programs
- Preferred interest or experience in grant writing & development
- Strong command of English language and some Spanish language preferred
- Strong written and editing skills. Able to produce written material in a timely and efficient manner.
- Professional written and interpersonal skills for communicating with grant makers and media
- Ability to multi-task and adjust to seasonal or event-related fluctuations in workload. Ability to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to carry out complex projects, collaborate with colleagues virtually and in person, and meet deadlines, with minimal oversight.
Preferred experience with
- Strong communication and organization skills; ability to multitask and interact with a diverse group of immigrant leaders, partners and allies.
- Commitment to social justice and sensitivity to the challenges of the Latino immigrant communities.
- Proficiency with Google Docs, Microsoft Products is required. Knowledge of graphic design software and Salesforce or other equivalent CRMs, databases or other fundraising software a plus.
- Contribute to a culture based upon respect, teamwork and collaboration. Adaptability, creativity, and a passion for the immigrant rights and social justice.
The Alianza combines its deep community roots and highly respected transnational experience with its advocacy policy work to protect the dignity and promote the well- being of all people across the Americas.