Chief Executive Officer
- Expired: November 13, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
AlexRenew is a public body and an independent political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria City Council appoints the organization's five citizen, volunteer board members. The Board of Directors sets the vision and strategic outcomes at regular intervals and hires the CEO. The CEO reports to the board, and maintains close working relationships with the City staff and local community groups. The CEO leads the approximately 120-member team of wastewater professionals in executing the organizational strategies in their day to day work.
The next CEO will oversee a number of exciting initiatives that will ensure the strategic growth of AlexRenew while delivering on its commitments to serve the community and protect the watershed. The next CEO will employ sound financial oversight of AlexRenew's financial portfolio and continue to balance investments with affordability. At the organizational level, the next CEO will oversee a well-qualified and motivated workforce with public service values. They will continue to build a highly collaborative culture that rewards input, diversity of thought, and upholds the commitment to continuous improvement. Their leadership style will empower a high performance mindset at all levels and foster a culture of trust and personal accountability across the organization.
The next CEO will also be forward thinking in modernizing the wastewater treatment systems and advancing AlexRenew's "utility of the future" vision and "one water" approach. They will lead efforts to make AlexRenew - and, by extension, the City of Alexandria - more sustainable and equitable.
Key priorities include:
- Redefining and setting a compelling organizational mission and purpose to encompass the new community-facing and enhanced combined sewer outfall locations and new wet-weather treatment facilities into the organization's state-of-the-art advanced wastewater treatment facility.
- Overseeing completion of the RiverRenew project, the largest infrastructure project in the city's history at over $600M with one of the most aggressive project schedules ever placed on a CSO remediation program, on-time and on-budget by July 2025.
- Maintaining and expanding AlexRenew's organizational culture to continue to attract and retain top talent by offering clear career paths and development opportunities for employees at all levels.
- Maintaining AlexRenew's financial stability while working to maintain affordable and equitable rates and costs.
- Continuing to manage the almost $1B in existing assets and develop a process to fully integrate RiverRenew's asset base and operational schemes by July 1, 2025.
- Advancing the organization's environmental stewardship goals, including maintaining its existing excellence in various environmental programs.
- Fostering reclaimed products that ensure the community's food and water security.
- Advancing technology to continue AlexRenew's "Digital Utility of the Future" vision.
Profile of the successful candidate
The successful candidate will articulate an energetic, determined and clear path to integrate the new CSO mission while continuing to guide AlexRenew toward its 2040 vision. The next CEO will bring an innovative, entrepreneurial approach to achieving the Board's vision and strategic outcomes while embodying a public service mindset at every touchpoint.
The CEO should bring a blend of business acumen along with a strong wastewater technical background to this role. They should have a demonstrated record of success managing a large portfolio of assets. Deep knowledge of the complex regulatory environment at the federal, state and local level, as well as an intuitive ability to identify future sector trends that will shape how AlexRenew delivers safe, environmentally-sound wastewater treatment in alignment with One Water principles are required.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience and notable successes in working with various Boards, Citizen Advisory Councils and an engaged, diverse community. They will be a proven, highly-skilled communicator with the political acumen and emotional intelligence to build strong working relationships with city leaders, community stakeholders, customers, and sector partners. They should demonstrate the ability to build consensus with parties with diverse and conflicting interests while supporting the mission, strategic outcomes and values of AlexRenew. They will be biased toward action as future opportunities emerge while incorporating all stakeholders and partners in the process of change.
A bachelor's degree in engineering or business administration from an accredited institution is required, with a master's degree and Professional Engineer (PE) license preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and education that enables success as the CEO will be considered.
The successful candidate has progressively responsible experience in an independent wastewater utility with at least ten years in a senior leadership role. Previous experience leading and managing in a complex technical environment is essential. Strong business acumen is required. Experience with or understanding of 24x7x365 technical operations is preferred. Excellent communications skills and experience in public relations and community engagement is highly desired. The candidate must value change and transformation and model continuous process improvement. A record of developing innovative solutions to comply with environmental and social justice principles is critical.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Alexandria Renew Enterprises
Get fresh Public Information Officer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.