Addiction Treatment Counselor
This position is responsible for assisting clients in the process of developing a personal program of recovery in line with the overall clinical program. Being able to provide education on theories of addiction to clients and their families is essential. Day-to-day responsibilities may vary.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Core duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
• Oversee documentation in clinical section of each client’s electronic health record and quality assurance for deficiencies.
• Facilitate comprehensive evaluation and diagnostic summary for assigned clients.
• Facilitate multi-disciplinary treatment planning and updates for assigned clients (ensures inclusion of all treatment modalities/ disciplines).
• Individual sessions for all assigned clients (at least weekly).
• Group counseling, education, and meetings per program schedule.
• Maintain ongoing communication with client’s family/support system throughout duration of client’s treatment.
• Family/conjoint therapy as specified in individual client’s treatment plans if needed.
• Coordinate treatment objectives for assigned clients with Clinical Director, Executive Director, and pertinent staff.
• Coordination of all treatment services needed for assigned client caseload.
• Support aftercare program by meeting with alumni on an as-needed basis (when approved by Executive Director).
• Participate in alumni and referral source events pertinent to the facility.
• Provide daily clinical progress note in client’s electronic health record.
• Participate in in-service training, individual/group supervision meetings, and counselor/residential staff interface meeting.
• Conduct UA drug screen as directed.
• Ability to conduct body searches upon admission to ensure clients do not bring contraband items into facility.
• Process newly admitted clients in accordance with company procedures including processing client property search and ensure that consent for treatment has been completed.
• Process a discharging client in accordance with company procedures and documenting in client chart as needed.
• Supervising the self-administration of medication as needed.
• Completing appropriate vehicle logs in accordance with company policy if the company vehicle is used during a shift.
• Completing necessary cash logs to document the handling of and safekeeping and/or return of a clients cash upon admit/discharge as needed.
• Checking and responding to company email every shift to ensure company wide communication.
• Assist with community outings, 12 step meetings and transportation in company vehicle as needed.
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Responsible for using assigned wireless phone during shift and responding to all communications made to this wireless phone during shift.
• Comply with HIPAA and other mandates regarding client care and confidentiality.
• Special Projects as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
• Three or more years of verifiable experience in residential/outpatient substance abuse treatment preferred.
• Completed an accredited addiction studies program.
• Registered as a RADT or higher preferred.
• Valid Drivers License.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of substance abuse related issues and the recovery process.
• Knowledge of the recovery field including the recovery practices and the 12-step process.
• Ability to maintain ethical and professional boundaries with clients and staff members.
• Knowledge of the process and signs of acute withdrawal from substances.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Knowledge of HIPAA regulations and guidelines.
• Must be organized, detail oriented, and have the ability to multitask.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Must be able to work in a team environment.
• CPR certification.