We are looking for someone who will prioritize the well being of our patients. Someone who is a team player. We would like someone with experience, but we are willing to train the right person.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Standing 80%
- Sitting 20%
- Moderate noise levels from dental and other Lab equipment
- Medical, office, and lab setting
- Minimum lifting requirements of 40 pounds in order to transfer equipment and pack and unpack supplies.
- Frequent bending, twisting, and position changes in order to examine and service patients.
- Exceptional hand eye coordination and control in order to use dental implements for exams, to provide dentist assistance, and mixing and/or placing materials on dental tools, products, and in mouths.
- Frequent client and interoffice personnel interaction as this position is chair-side to dentist and heavily dependent on excellent customer interaction.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer) as required for mixing and placing materials on tools and in mouths.
- Potential occupational exposure to trace amounts of nitrous oxide
Position Summary: Under Direct and Indirect Supervision, The dental assistant will assist the Dentist in both administrative and clinical duties including: prepare patient for procedure or exam, sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, and prepare materials, and assist during dental procedures. Provide patient and practice support services; including, but not limited to, personal assistance, medical attention, and emotional support.
- Assist with dental and medical emergencies according to OSHA and office procedures
· Maintain CPR certification.
· Assist chair side during administration of nitrous oxide.
· Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Make preliminary impressions for study casts and occlusal registrations for mounting study casts.
· Clean and polish removable appliances.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
· Record treatment information in patient records.
· Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
· Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
· Actively provide hand instruments and materials to Dentist, as needed, during exams and procedures in order to help maintain patient comfort and Dentist’s efficiency. Being as gentle as possible while performing tasks and procedures while alone and with the Dentist.
- Using and maintaining hazard control protocols as established by OSHA and office standards.
- Must always represent the practice in a professional, pleasant, and cooperative manner and maintain such demeanor with patients and staff members.
- Must maintain regular, consistent and punctual attendance in accordance with assigned schedule and time off policies.
- Must be able to comfortably and efficiently handle multiple deadlines and task assignments.
- Must be able to work both independently and cooperatively in team settings.
- Occasionally there may be some travel, by car or plane, required in order for you to participate in continuing education or seminars.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Other duties and tasks, as assigned periodically.
- Always maintain the highest level of confidentiality to HIPAA standards.
- Adhere to strict safety guidelines and procedures to OSHA and office standards.
- Adhere to office policy and procedures when collecting payments.
- Must be comfortable seeing and able to maintain a professional demeanor and attitude while working around blood and smells that may be unpleasant.
- Must be detail oriented in order to work efficiently in small spaces and maintain patient comfort.
- You must be flexible and understand that your job duties may change from time to time and that you may be asked to “help out” in other areas of the office.
- Must excel in forward thinking in order to anticipate the needs of the doctor as well as the patient.
- Must demonstrate active listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Must demonstrate good reading comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Experience and Education:
· High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
· Diploma or certificate from an approved 281 dental assisting program as accredited by CODA or DANB.
· Preferred two years dental practice experience.
As a dentist, Dr. Lowe looks to establish lasting personal relationships with his patients and to become an active member of the Fairbanks community. Dr. Lowe continually seeks to further his education and find new ways to treat your smile.
When not serving at our office, Dr. Lowe enjoys spending his free time with his family and wife and children. He is also an avid outdoors-man. He is looking forward to meeting his new community members
Alaska Dental Arts Fairbanks
Why Work Here?Dr. Derek Lowe is excited to welcome you to the Fairbanks, Alaska, office of Alaska Dental Arts. A 2006 graduate of the University of Las Vegas of Dental Medicine, Dr. Lowe brings with him all of the latest training and experience to offer you and your family outstanding results. He also studied Economics at the University of Utah. As a dentist, Dr. Lowe looks to establish lasting personal relationships with his patients and to become an active member of the Fairbanks community. Dr. Lowe continually seeks to further his education and find new ways to treat your smile. When not serving at our office, Dr. Lowe enjoys spending his free time with his family and wife and children. He is also an avid outdoors-man. He is looking forward to meeting his new community members