Cook and Server
AlRazi Academy West Des Moines, IA
- Posted: over a month ago
- $10 to $13 Hourly
Do you love working with children? Do you enjoy cooking and trying new recipes? Are you creative and fun? Are you looking for a friendly environment with supportive management? Join our team at AlRazi Academy. We are hiring a cook.
The Nutrition Specialist is responsible for providing nutritious breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the children at AlRazi Academy. The Nutrition Specialist must also comply with the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), DHS Health and Safety Standards and best practice policies implemented by the center.
Reports to the Center Director
· At least 18 years old
· High school diploma or GED
· Completion of all state-required early childhood training classes. Information about how to get them done will be shared by the director.
· Minimum of two years in meal planning and food preparation is preferred. No experience, don’t worry we can help you learn.
· Knowledge of early childhood nutrition. You must must be willing to learn if you dont have the knowledge.
· Experience working with groups of children
· Valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance
· Applicant must be able to pass a State and Federal background check
· Applicant must complete courses in Adult and Child CPR/First Aid Universal Precautions, Mandatory Reporting and CACFP training. Instructions on how to get them completed will be shared by the director.
· Successful applicants are expected to continue formal training to meet program requirements
· Must be free of communicable diseases and have a negative TB test
Preferred but not required: Dietary Aid Certification
To design, prepare and serve cost-effective nutritious meals and snacks
- Follow CACFP guidelines
- Design menus on a monthly basis following the best practice food guide.
- Distributes menus to the Center Director and posts new menus on all classroom and center bulletin boards.
- Responsible for inventory of food items, creating lists of food items needed, placing and accepting food bank orders, placing and accepting milk orders and or any other orders necessary for meals and snacks preparation process and making weekly purchases. All lists and purchases must be pre-approved by the Center Director.
- Must determine and track price per serving.
- Responsible for tracking the calorie and fat content for each serving
- Practices safe food handling techniques and food preparation and storage.
- Distributes food to classrooms at their designated times. Meals must be properly covered/sealed and gloves should be worn.
To maintain safe and sanitary children eating areas, kitchen, pantry, and storage areas
1. Proper hand washing procedures must be followed
2. Cleans and sanitizes all food service items, kitchen surfaces and appliances on a daily basis.
3. Organize and labels food and non-food items in accordance with DHS and CACFP guidelines.
To provide support for classrooms when needed.
1. Covers breaks as needed
2. Fills in for staff in order to maintain proper staff ratio
3. Assists in cleaning up after meals if needed
To establish positive and productive relationships with families
1. Provides nutritional information and menu plans to families
To ensure a well-run purposeful program responsive to participant needs
1. Assesses the menu items to ensure proper nutritional elements.
2. Follows CACFP, DHS and best practice guidelines
3. Assesses children’s preferences for menu items
4. Is responsive to the needs of the children in relation to medical or cultural requirements
5. Maintains accurate and timely records of calorie/fat content per serving, price per serving and consumption.
To maintain a commitment to professionalism
1. Promotes the center’s mission, philosophy, goals and objectives.
2. Supports the center’s code of ethical conduct
3. Show sensitivity and respect for the cultural and ethnic diversity of clients, staff and other community members and groups.
4. Assists in maintaining center appearance internally and externally.
5. Engages in ongoing staff development to improve personal and professional skills.
6. Supports the professional growth and development of colleagues by sharing materials and information.
7. Participates in staff meetings. Workshops, and in-service training provided by the center.
8. Regular and reliable attendance, notify supervisor as soon as possible in the case of absence or lateness.
9. Interacts with colleagues, families, and center visitors in a pleasant, professional manner to promote a harmonious work and team environment.
Personal Qualities and Special Job Characteristics:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Individuals must be flexible in receiving assignments or adapting to changes in the program. They must be willing to accept supervision in order to improve work performance.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to effectively communicate with children, peers, superiors, families.
Ability to perform simple and complex math functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee if frequently required to talk or hear, stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell. This position will also require you to stand for long periods of time.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is most frequently moderate but occasionally loud. May be required to clean up/deal with bodily fluids.
The description given is intended only to provide information about the general nature of the job and is not an all-inclusive list of thee job duties, skills or abilities which may change from time-to-time.
AlRazi Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the school to provide equal employment opportunity and not to illegally discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, age or marital status in its employment and personnel practices.
AlRazi AcademyWhy Work Here?
Great Family and Friendly environment, supportive management
1119 5th StWest Des Moines, IA