GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Office Services Coordinator and following prescribed department, office and firm procedures, the Office Services Assistant is responsible for processing all incoming and outgoing U.S. Mail, UPS and other courier service deliveries; sending and receiving facsimiles; processing requests for print, copy and scanning jobs; and assisting with the set-up of conference rooms for office events, as necessary. Office Services Assistants are expected to perform all responsibilities with a commitment to providing superior service to the firm's attorneys, advisors and staff, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Office Services Assistant must fulfill the needs of the firm in a manner which is consistent with the Firm's Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
In conjunction with the Office Administrator:
- Set priorities and coordinate daily Office Services workflow to ensure quality of work and timely completion of assignments during regular business hours and on an overtime/weekend basis as needed.
- Develop and implement procedures to optimize effectiveness; ensure that space, equipment and technology are used effectively.
- Monitor department expenditures and ensure that vendor services provide cost-effective goods and services.
- Supply management; ensuring excellent inventory control and cost-effective purchases; review and validate bills for office supplies.
- Ensure that office equipment and supplies, both in the department and at convenience locations, satisfactorily support the needs of the office.
- Resolve problems when possible and, as necessary, report problems to others in the office or department in a timely manner.
- Maintain a professional and courteous manner at all times, contribute to constructive resolution of conflicts within the office or firm.
- Process all unidentified incoming mail and all mail addressed to departed attorneys.
- Coordinate daily schedule of mail and parcel deliveries.
- Maintain mail and UPS equipment.
- Oversee firm pouch deliveries to domestic and overseas offices.
- Arrange for outside messenger service to fill messenger delivery requests, ensuring prompt and efficient service. Follow-up and obtain proof of delivery for all outgoing deliveries. Monitor all records and logs associated with messenger services.
- Arrange for outside messenger service to fill messenger deliveries (packages, boxes, etc.) and maintain appropriate departmental records.
- Accept and distribute incoming hand deliveries (packages, boxes, food) and maintain appropriate departmental records.
- Reproduce and finish (including collating, stapling, hole punching/drilling, binding) documents, articles, books, maps and blueprints, using copy machines, binding machines and other appropriate equipment.
- Proof completed work for accuracy and thoroughness, paying close attention to instructions and detail.
- Arrange delivery or pick-up of completed duplicating work.
- Monitor and maintain central duplicating equipment, satellite copy machines and shredders and ensure that all necessary repairs are made in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate and prepare outgoing work to offsite duplicating services; receive and check incoming work from offsite duplicating services.
- Serve as relief Receptionist, answering internal and external switchboard calls, providing relief Reception coverage and performing other general reception duties.
- Provide back-up duties to Receptionist and Operations Assistant.
- Greet clients and relay messages or requests to attorneys.
- Assist with general duties in the conference rooms as requested.
- Perform clerical and administrative projects as assigned by Office Administrators and Secretaries.
- Set up conference rooms before meetings, including serving food prepared by outside caterers and preparing beverage set-ups for groups ranging from two to several hundred people; maintain appropriate beverage, food and supply levels throughout the function; remove dirty dishes and supplies after the function.
- Wash dishes with a dishwasher and by hand, clean sinks, microwave ovens, pantry surfaces and cabinets; and perform other basic housekeeping duties.
- Stock and maintain supplies in Main Kitchen and central storage areas.
- Maintain proper inventory levels of supplies (china, glassware, flatware, chafing dishes, linens, beverages, food products, cleaning supplies and paper products) for the office kitchens, employee lunchroom, pantries and conference rooms.
- Ensure department, Main Kitchen, and conference rooms are maintained in a neat, safe and orderly fashion.
- Ensure all departmental forms and logs are completed accurately and thoroughly.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of office procedures related to Office Services
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. Postal and courier services' deadlines, rules and regulations
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to operate and maintain copy, binding and shredding machines
- Strong leadership skills and willingness to function as role model within the office.
- Excellent judgment and common sense
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent telephone manner and oral communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures for conference room and food service scheduling
- Ability to handle difficult situations with discretion, tact and diplomacy
- Familiarity with office and firm personnel
- Familiarity with office space (location of specific departments, offices, conference rooms, etc.)
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Excellent record-keeping skills
- Thorough knowledge of firm's e-mail and document management systems
- Proficiency on office equipment used on a regular basis including computers, printers, copy machines and telephones
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion
- Ability to meet deadlines and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform clerical tasks with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a team setting
- Ability to establish effective working relationships within the department, office and firm
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with clients, vendors and others outside the firm
- Ability to perform mathematical functions - add, subtract, multiply, divide, percentages
- Strong service orientation
- Legible handwriting
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a corporate or law firm environment, preferably with copy center or mailroom experience
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility
Required SkillsRequired Experience