A large established mental health practice located in the San Fernando Valley is looking to hire an experienced Medical Billing Specialist. Ideal candidate will be a team player, problem-solver, excellent communicator, and diligent about claims, collections, and revenue cycle management. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys multi-tasking, taking on challenges, and who seeks variety.
This is a full-time position Monday-Friday.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviewing client bills for accuracy and completeness, and obtaining any missing information.
- Preparing, reviewing, and transmitting claims using billing software, including electronic and paper claim processing.
- Following up on unpaid claims within standard billing cycle timeframe.
- Checking each insurance payment for accuracy and compliance with contract discount.
- Calling insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in payments if necessary
- Identifying and billing secondary or tertiary insurances.
- Reviewing accounts for insurance of client follow-up.
- Researching and appealing denied claims.
- Answering all client or insurance telephone inquiries pertaining to assigned accounts.
- Setting up client payment plans and work collection accounts.
- Updating billing software with rate changes.
- Updating cash spreadsheets, and running collection reports.
- Obtaining referrals and pre-authorizations as required for procedures.
- Checking eligibility and benefits verification for treatments, hospitalizations, and procedures.
- Monitor collection efforts by reviewing a computer-generated A/R reports, and follow up on all accounts over 60 days.
- Resubmit claims to insurance carriers most by insurance portal, some by fax and mail to identified individuals to promote expeditious payments.
- Evaluate policies and procedures by assessing client accounts recovered in relation to effort, methods, and costs involved.
- Maintain operations by following policies and procedures for the collection of accounts.
- Prepare collection reports by accumulating, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends.
- Minimize losses by referring bad-debt accounts to an outside agency.
- Prevent losses by notifying appropriate staff and related personnel.
- Maintain historical records by ensuring that documents are completed and filed according to policy and procedure.
- Contribute to team effort by maintaining an excellent rapport and cooperative working relationship with all other Symmetry Counseling staff.
- Cooperate with office administration by assisting with any other necessary projects and assignments as may be required.
- Update demographics in database:
* Special Projects on an as-need basis.
- Minimum three years’ experience in physician billing and collection environment
- Above average communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge of office procedures and office machinery
- Effective problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Solid computer skills are required
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be a fast learner, willing to learn, takes initiative, has a passion for helping others and is eager to work and accomplish goals in a timely manner.
Proficiency in the following areas is preferred:
- Knowledge of insurance guidelines and other payer requirements and systems.
- Competent use of computer systems, software, and 10 key calculators.
- Effective communication abilities for phone contacts with insurance payers to resolve issues.
- Customer service skills for interacting with clients regarding medical claims and payments, including communicating with clients and family members of diverse ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to work well in a team environment. Being able to triage priorities, delegate tasks if needed, and handle conflict in a reasonable fashion.
- Problem-solving skills to research and resolve discrepancies, denials, appeals, collections. A calm manner and patience working with either clients or insurers during this process.
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
- Knowledge of medical terminology likely to be encountered in medical claims.
- Maintaining client confidentiality as per HIPAA.
- Ability to multitask.
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Time Off
- Health Insurance
- Paid Holidays