Airgas, an Air Liquide company is Now Hiring
Lab Manager in Lynwood, CA
As the leading U.S. distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases and hardgoods, Airgas has a focus on quality products-but we recognize that it's the quality of our people that makes our success possible. With more than 18,000 associates working in approximately 1,100 locations-branches, retail stores, gas fill plants, specialty labs, gas production facilities and distribution centers-chances are, there is a career at Airgas custom fit for you. Bring your competitive drive to Airgas and ability to work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment!
Responsible for gas chromatography, FTIR, and process analytical testing of raw materials and finished goods. Specific duties include: Supervising laboratory personnel in accordance with Airgas corporate Human Resource policies. Ensuring compliance with ISO/IEC 17025:1999. Ensuring compliance with ISO 9001:2000. Enforcing quality and safety policies within the laboratory. Serve as Technical Manager for the laboratory and provide technical assistance to plant personnel as necessary.
- Comply with all Company and industry safety policies and procedures.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in producing, repackaging, and analysis of compressed and liquid gases into Specialty Gas products.
- Operate and safely maintain the high-pressure gas repackaging plant while ensuring compliance with all federal, state, local and company policies (SMS), procedures, regulations and laws.
- Conduct periodic checks of fill plant for safe and efficient operation
- Manage the scheduling of specialty gas products within the Production Planning Module (PPM).
- Drive compliance to meet all Specialty, Medical, and Food Gas SOP/ISO compliance.
- Manage and maintain Lab gauges, thermometers, weights, scales, and analytical equipment for proper calibrations and operation
- Manage the Corrective Action Tracking System (CATS) for timely resolution to customers.
- Manage and maintain proper specialty gas inventory levels.
- Cylinder handling including: filling, painting, sorting, and analysis.
- Back up as needed and where qualified as directed by immediate supervisor or higher-level management.
- Assist with inventory, general housekeeping, and help with customers when necessary.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- 1 - 2 years industry experience and training.
- Minimum of 2 years management experience
- Experience managing a production/lab staff in an ISO or FDA production environment.
- Working knowledge of planning and blending mixtures.
- Computer experience in a computerized office environment.
- Must have strong math skills; ability to calculate figures and units of measure.
- Ability to read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- Analytic ability demonstrated by working knowledge of gas chromatography using FID, TCD, detectors, non-dispersive infrared and component-specific analyzers for analysis of gaseous samples Experience in the HVAC or plumbing industry with hands on welding/brazing skill a plus
- Thorough knowledge of manometric and gravimetric gas blending procedures, and working knowledge of laws of Partial Pressure.
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures properly
- Computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office or similar software suite
- Ability to perform very heavy work -- routinely lift 25-75 lbs., occasionally lift 76 to greater than 100 lbs.
- Ability to perform work during prolonged standing up to 8 hours; Frequent bending, stooping, crouching, reaching, grasping, feeling and repetitive motion also required.
- Ability to perform work during occasional climbing, balancing, kneeling, crawling, pushing, pulling and finger activities.
- Must be able to work inside and outside in temperatures ranging from 10 to 110 degrees.
- Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds.
- Must be able to operate in a drug- and alcohol- free workplace.
While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to sit for long periods and stand to perform work. The associate is required to reach with hands and arms, smell, talk or hear. The associate must be able to lift,push, pull or move up to thirty (50) pounds or more with assistance. Specificvision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheralvision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment isusually moderate to noisy and the associate may be exposed to extremeweather. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Hearing protection must be worn in designated areas.
- Fully enclosed shoes or safety shoes must we worn in designated areas.
- Safety glasses must be worn in designated areas.
- Must use other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required.
Looking for a great company to work for? You'll Find It With Us!
Airgas offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package, which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Drug, Life & Disability Insurance, 401(k), Tuition Reimbursement and more.
Airgas will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.