Subcontracts Program Manager - Space Programs
- Expired: August 10, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Airbus U.S. Space & Defense, Inc offers advanced solutions to meet the most complex U.S. defense, security, space, and intelligence requirements. Celebrating over 50 years in the US, we remain a trusted government partner, leveraging world-class satellite, laser communication, rotor and fixed wing solutions to help our national security, defense and space focused customers meet their missions.
Airbus U.S. looks to employ a commitment driven team, dedicated to enabling our customer's mission success. We are committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment and a welcoming and engaging staff. With competitive compensation and superior employee benefits, as well as a commitment to fostering individual career growth, Airbus U.S. is the place where top talent wants to work.
AIRBUS requires that all new employees and temporary workers of Airbus be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Airbus allows candidates who are not fully vaccinated at the time of hire a reasonable amount of time to obtain vaccinated status. This position requires vaccination against COVID-19 or, if applicable, an approved accommodation for religious or medical reasons
The Program Manager - Subcontracts is responsible for managing the key Sub-contractor or multiple Sub-contractors for multiple satellite programs within the Airbus U.S. Space Systems line of business (LOB) portfolio of space programs.
Located preferably in Merritt Island, Florida, this role consists of leading the sub-contractor program management, planning, budgeting, scheduling, coordination, and reporting to ensure that the sub-contractor execution supports the satellite programs and tasks are executed to meet cost, schedule, and performance commitments. Works closely with the Airbus US satellite Program Managers and engineering team to coordinate technical expectations and deliver results for assigned programs. Works closely with other functional areas of Airbus U.S. ensure that supply chain, contractual, finance, export, compliance, and legal requirements are satisfied. Provides support to the strategy and new business development team for future sub-contract requests to support future capture and proposal efforts, to win business and increase revenues on new and existing programs. This role reports to the Director of Space Programs.
Program Management of Key Subcontracts: (50%)
- Serve as program manager of sub-contracts for identified sub-contractors in order to support multiple space program(s).
- Manage sub-contractor project planning, costing, scheduling and provide regular updates to the Space LOB and executive program management reviews with the Space LOB and Airbus U.S. executive management.
- Provide daily sub-contract direction and support. Coordinate with internal and external team members (engineering, support functions) to plan, update, and execute program plans against cost and schedule, with risks and risk mitigation, and within budget.
- Ensure sub-contractor develops detailed Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) or equivalent and tracks and manages project costs against the program spend rate baseline.
- Work with internal and sub-contractor master scheduler to develop schedules that identify major milestones, internal and external task dependencies, critical paths, resources allocation requirements, as well as ensuring the sub-contractor meets monthly reporting requirements.
- Create and submit status reports, briefings, summaries, technical reviews, revenue/budget reports, cost/benefit analysis, risk management and other documents as necessary. Provide current project and program updates to senior management and team members to report status on cost, performance, and schedule.
- Proactively track leading indicators, identify issues or delays, and recommend corrective actions as needed. Provide the Director of Space Programs or Program Manager with recommendations and implementation strategies to ensure project and program costs remain within the budget and schedule.
- Manage and update sub-contractor risks through a risk management plan that identifies, assess, documents, and mitigates program risks.
- Coordinate and manage projects and ensure Contract Data Requirements List (CDRLs) are completed. Manage internal, external, and international organizations to ensure strict adherence to timelines.
- Manage milestone progress and invoice for work accomplished
Relationship Management: (20%)
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with sub-contractors, customers, other external stakeholders, and internal stakeholders, and Airbus affiliates working in a collaborative partnership to ensure successful program execution and business growth. This includes working with internal support functions across the company - finance, contracts, compliance, security, export, configuration management, etc.
- Provide direct management of partners and affiliates, including program definition and scope, program reviews, deliverables, schedule and milestones management, risk management, payments, invoices.
Finance/Earned Value, Contract, Supply Chain, Compliance, Security Coordination: (20%)
- Coordinate with finance, contracting, supply chain, compliance and security team members to ensure sub-contractor project are being managed per financial, contractual and compliance requirements, within project scope and budget and following the approved schedule
- Apply guidance and redirection as required to ensure programs stay on track.
- Leverage individual project management and industry experience to contribute substantively to Airbus U.S. efforts to optimize company project management processes
Additional Duties as required: (10%)
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Aerospace, Systems, Electrical, Mechanical or Thermal Engineering or other STEM related scientific field.
- Preferred: Master's degree in Engineering or business-related field
- 7 years (5 years with a master's degree) of progressive experience in aerospace, systems, electrical, mechanical, thermal engineering, or aerospace supply chain/subcontracts management
- Experience in technical or business project management or of small teams
- Experience managing projects and teams, for space flight hardware or technologies, for U.S. Government or commercial space customers, with successful execution (cost, schedule, performance)
- Experience with high production rate of satellites (10+ per year) desired
- Experience working with subcontracts and supply chain teams highly desired
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Understanding of space systems, technologies, and products
- Detailed knowledge of aerospace subcontracts
- Experience and familiarity with U.S. government contracts
- Strong knowledge of FAR/DFARS desired.
- Knowledge of program management metrics, tools, reporting methods
- Direct experience with U.S. national security space programs is highly preferred.
- Earned Value Management knowledge desired.
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Systems-thinker, entrepreneurial mindset and ability to perform in a fast-paced environment with complex issues and competing priorities
- Excellent listening, comprehension, interpersonal, communication (verbal/writing), skills as responsible for daily communication in all forms
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills; clear, concise, accuracy, and commitment to follow-up
- Collaborative spirit, diplomacy skills with inclusive and personable approach
- Professional demeanor, with ability to effectively engage and partner with stakeholders at all levels, internally and externally, from support functions to engineers to executive leadership to senior government officials
- Ability to work in a diverse, geographically distributed team to achieve successful program execution
Technical Systems Proficiency:
- Excellent PC skills, specifically Office 365, Microsoft Teams, Sharepoint
- Experience with MS Office suite, MS Project
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Costpoint, Deltek systems a plus
- 20-25% domestic and occasional international
- Travel to critical subcontractor(s) likely necessary as well as potential occasional international travel to collaborate with European Airbus counterparts or international subcontractors.
- Ability to work extended hours on occasion, in support of requirements for program execution, proposals, customer events, international time zones, etc
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance
- Active Government security clearance desirable
Decision Making, Complexity:
- Able to manage multiple activities
- Able to act decisively while ensuring actions are legal, within contract boundaries, and ethical
Job Dimensions, Contributions to Success:
- Lead an industrial team to achieve programmatic success
- Ensure programs achieve cost, schedule, and performance objectives
Airbus Defense and Space
AddressMerritt Island, FLUSA
LegalView all jobs at Airbus Defense and Space