Head of US IP and Digital
- Expired: May 11, 2022. Applications are no longer accepted.
Airbus is an international pioneer in the aerospace industry. We are a leader in designing, manufacturing and delivering aerospace products, services and solutions to customers on a global scale. We aim for a better-connected, safer and more prosperous world.
A commercial aircraft manufacturer, with Space and Defense as well as Helicopters Divisions, Airbus is the largest aeronautics and space company in Europe and a worldwide leader.
Airbus has built on its strong European heritage to become truly international - with roughly 180 locations and 12,000 direct suppliers globally. The company has aircraft and helicopter final assembly lines across Asia, Europe and the Americas, and has achieved a more than sixfold order book increase since 2000.
AIRBUS requires that all new employees and temporary workers of Airbus be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Airbus allows candidates who are not fully vaccinated at the time of hire a reasonable amount of time to obtain vaccinated status. This position requires vaccination against COVID-19 or, if applicable, an approved accommodation for religious or medical reasons.
Position Summary: The Head of US IP and Digital will (i) coordinate and interface with key stakeholders to provide strategic IP guidance, (ii) be the expert for US IP issues, including on global strategic programs and (iii) deliver consistent, streamlined and aligned US legal advice on IP and digital matters cutting across Airbus.
Lead and manage US IP strategy and portfolio/US IP center of expertise: 30%
- Provide guidance [and oversee] US IP strategy and national and international patent filings for Airbus US entities, including patent portfolio strategy, external patent counsel management, trademark strategy/filings, developing and managing internal IP policies and procedures, and providing IP training and support.
- Serve as the US center of expertise for IP Matters, in coordination with the Group IP Function in Legal & Compliance, within the larger Airbus organization.
Lead strategic projects and transactions requiring IP technical or engineering expertise: 30%
- Act as Global Lead for US IP matters for cross-border strategic and R&T projects, commercial, helicopters and defense & space.
- Perform IP mapping for projects and identify risks and opportunities for the company.
- Drive the transversal team to develop legally sound solutions to meet business objectives including: advising on legal frameworks for technology development (make v. buy), IP licensing, customer agreements and supplier relationships.
Provide strategic and coordinated legal advice on critical Airbus digital initiatives: 30%
- Serve as legal business partner providing advice and strategic legal support on a wide variety of issues concerning the development and implementation of novel digital applications and connected solutions related to Airbus products and services, including big data and advanced analytics, augmented humans and robots, artificial intelligence and collective computing, and cloud and service-as-a-platform offerings.
- Serve as the partner to LX Digital on transversal legal matters involving digital initiatives and US IP LX matters.
- Catalyze and lead a cross-functional team of colleagues across Airbus on key digital transformation initiatives.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on complex and strategic technology transaction agreements including licensing, technology outsourcing and procurement, data center/cloud services, data analytics, PaaS/SaaS agreements, strategic partnership agreements, and other commercial agreements.
- Supervise and manage Toulouse-based digital lawyer.
Other duties as assigned: 10%
- Provide legal support, as needed, to US One Roof Legal Team on other legal topics, including corporate, M&A, sales, finance, procurement, services, compliance and HR matters.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from accredited US law school.
- Technical, engineering or equivalent education preferred
- 8+ years of professional experience in a complex, global organization (acquired in law firms and/or industry, preferably in aerospace or with a technology company).
- Extensive experience in complex technology transactions and IP law.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating complex in-bound or technology acquisition transactions, technology and software licensing, joint development, SaaS, data and open source agreements, and providing legal support to engineering, operations and development teams.
- Experience managing junior attorneys and legal staff preferred.
- Member in good standing of at least one US-state bar, NY preferred.
- USPTO registered patent attorney preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Ability to manage a complex dynamic workload under deadline pressures with minimal supervision and drive deals to close.
- Ability to work independently and think strategically.
- Excellent legal analytical and writing skills with the ability to integrate legal advice and business knowledge, while providing practical advice to the business.
- Experience managing external counsel and legal budgets preferred.
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills with a willingness to collaborate, share knowledge, respond quickly to urgent matters and execute proactively.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills.
Technical Systems Proficiency:
- Proficiency with G Suite
- Proficiency with legal research tools, such as Westlaw and/or LexisNexis
- Up to 25% Domestic and International
As a leader in our field, Airbus in America provides relocation assistance for qualified positions and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
Airbus in America provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. In addition to federal law requirements, Airbus in America complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, demotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits and training.
Airbus in America expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. Improper interference with the ability of Airbus' employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a matter of policy, Airbus does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.
Airbus does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Either the company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.Employment Type: FULL_TIME
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at Airbus Americas