Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilitiesbeing considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Combat Air Forces (CAF) Air Force Engineering and Technical Services (AFETS) specialist, technical expert advisor, on complex and sophisticated systems/equipment to support MAJCOM and subordinate units.
Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent serves as CAF Technical Expert Advisor and Assigned Unit Technical Expert Advisor to senior leaders and maintenance technicians in maintenance operations, and training related to complex and sophisticated systems and equipment.
- Provides technical assistance to assigned unit in resolving complex system/equipment problems.
- Prepares informal training to include over-the shoulder, classroom, demonstration, one-on-one, and spontaneous training.
- CAF AFETS specialist performs short notice TDY deployments and/or PCS moves to meet worldwide operational/mission requirements.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- A security clearance may be required
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may/may not be authorized
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This is an AFETS (Air Force Engineering and Technical Services) position
- Position is serviced by Langley AFB, VA / duty located at Will Rogers, OK
- Mobility is a condition of employment with AFETS
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-11, or deemed equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes working as a skilled maintenance worker or planner in a technical group dealing with operation of Airfield Systems, applying a full spectrum of knowledge and expertise in the design, planning, employment and acquisition of existing and future systems or other work that demonstrated the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of the position.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-11 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-12 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs):Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Knowledge of personnel management policies, practices, regulations, and procedures to adjust work operations to meet emergencies; change program or production, safety, and security requirements within available resources and with minimum sacrifice of quantity or quality of work.
2. Knowledge of a wide range of maintenance concepts, principles, and practices of specific systems/equipment: Airfield Systems. Provides expert level knowledge of system design and operation, block diagram level signal flow, circuit level, analysis and troubleshooting, advanced knowledge of basic and unique test equipment, flight inspection procedures and parameters, etc.
3. Skill in analyzing and interpreting engineering drawings, technical manual and technical data; identifying and analyzing complex technical problems and developing innovative solutions.
4. Skill in providing technical advice in terms of oral and written briefings, reports, and recommendations to senior leadership and maintenance technicians; and developing interpersonal relationships, maintaining a good working relationships, and working cooperatively as a member of a team.
5. Ability to plan, organize and reprioritize work to meet changing deadlines; to develop and conduct training to ensure proper maintenance of assigned systems/equipment; and communicate well, both orally and in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS PERTAINING TO THIS POSITION ARE:
1. CAF AFETS specialist is subject to short notice TDY deployment and/or PCS move to meet worldwide operational/mission requirements. This position requires the employee to sign a mobility agreement under the provisions of the agency mobility program.
2. This position may require frequent travel or long periods away from the normal duty station to include CONUS or overseas and may include remote or isolated sites.
3. Based on operational necessity, TDY away from home base in support of other CAF units may require travel by military air.
4. The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays and/or overtime.
5. The employee must meet physical requirements for immediate worldwide deployment, remote from adequate medical facilities, for extended TDY.
6. This position may require employee to work under adverse environmental conditions.
7. This position is emergency-essential (E-E). The incumbent of this position must meet all requirements of E-E positions and may be required as a condition of employment to take a series of vaccinations and annual boosters to immunize against anthrax and other diseases. In the event of a crisis situation, the incumbent or designated alternate, must continue to perform the E-E duties until relieved by proper authority. The incumbent or the designated alternate may be required to take part in readiness exercises. This position cannot be vacated during a national emergency or mobilization without seriously impairing the capability of the organization to function effectively. This meets the criteria of an E-E position and requires that the incumbent, or the designated alternate, be removed from any recall status.
8. Incumbent may be deployed to a remote area and request to be armed or the position has access to firearms or ammunition. When this situation occurs, the position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated well qualified or above for this position. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Current Federal Civilian employees may apply for temporary and term positions and if selected, a break in service of more than three (3) calendar days may be required prior to appointment to the position.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition.
90-Day Register:This announcement may result in a 90-day register that may be used to fill like vacancies for 90 day