Volunteer - Donation Center Assistant (Seasonal)
- Posted: over a month ago
(Seasonal) Donation Center Assistant
Agate Housing and Services helps people experiencing homelessness, and its mission is to end homelessness and relieve hunger. The agency receives a plethora of donations which fluctuates throughout the year. Agate is seeking a seasonal volunteer who can help organize donations this winter, when there is an annual influx of supplies. The Donation Center Assistant directly addresses this need by cataloguing donated winter gear and staging them for case managers and other staff to see. They organize other donated goods and move items to and from storage rooms as necessary. The Assistant works directly with the In-Kind Donation Generalists, Kathy and Nayef, the In-Kind Donation Support Specialist, Susi, and In-kind Donation Manager, Abby. The Assistant comes in 1-2 times a week, late fall through the end of winter. Once the influx of winter gear donations tapers off, the Donation Center Assistant's job will be finished for the season.
- Record and catalogue all winter gear in donation supply rooms
- Stage winter gear in the Donation Center
- Organize donated winter gear and other supplies
- Report back to the In-kind Donation Generalists and Specialist, as well as the In-Kind Donation Manager
Requirements and Commitment:
- Aligns with the mission and values of Agate
- Vaccinated against COVID-19 (2 dose minimum)
- Must be able to bend down, stoop, squat, push, pull, lift, and move light to heavy objects
- Capable of standing and walking for long periods of time
- 1-2 days a week, 2-3 hours a shift
- Tuesday availability, 9:00AM - 11:30AM
- 3-month minimum commitment
- Reliable transportation to and from the Donation Center
Training: This individual will receive full training and orientation on their specific role, as well as a tour of the facility which they will be working. They will be informed about our organization, services, and how their commitment impacts our work in the community by Noah Chan, the volunteer manager. The In-Kind Donation Generalists are the most informed on the Donation Center operations and can answer any questions the Assistant may have.
Supervision: The Donation Center Assistant will also receive consistent communications and check-ins from the In-kind Donation Manager, Abby Abele, who is their on-site supervisor.
Location: 2309 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN, 55404
The Donation Center Assistant is an integral volunteer role which supports many of our programs and departments, as well as the clients/residents they serve. Staff come in often to find supplies for the person they are working with. Unpacking, sorting, and organizing donations helps our staff members find exactly what they are looking for and keeps us updated on our inventory. During the colder months, Agate gets an influx of winter-related donations, which can be hard to keep up with. The Assistant gives the Donation Center the support it needs so case managers can give their clients the supplies they need, and so Outreach can equip people living outdoors with essential winter gear.
Noah Chan (he/him/his)
Volunteer Development | Internal Engagement Manager
Agate Housing and Services
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?