Federal Relations Fellowship - Spring 2024
Aflac Federal Relations
Aflac Federal Relations Diversity Fellowship in Public Affairs
Aflac Federal Relations is located in the heart of downtown Washington, DC and is responsible for the federal public policy strategy and government relations activities for Aflac, Inc.
The fellowship provides an opportunity for selected fellows to explore public affairs, advocacy, and public policy.
As a member of the Aflac Federal Relations team, the fellow will focus on public affairs issues of importance to the company ranging from social justice to financial security and small business policy. Fellows will be exposed to business units across the enterprise and represent the team and company internally and externally providing valuable experience.
Fellows will have the opportunity to interact industry trade groups and non-governmental organizations who influence public policy as well as policymakers in the legislative and executive branches.
- Attend industry and other professional events, policy briefings, and hearings and provide updates.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the areas of corporate community engagement and small business and identify best corporate practices and potential opportunities for Aflac engagement.
- Assist in tracking political sentiment and messaging on issues of importance.
- Perform research writing projects, and provide insight and recommendations to management.
- Collect, organize, analyze, and prepare reports for management and develop executive level presentations, as needed, using PowerPoint.
- Establish and develop relationships with HBCUs to partner with in fellowship recruitment efforts and other programs.
- Special projects as assigned by team members in support of current business needs.
- Continuously develop core business skills through work assignments, peer-to-per coaching and other professional development training, including prioritization, time and project management, interpersonal and networking, verbal and written communication skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including supporting our extensive political affairs and special events efforts.
Education and Experience
- Completed Bachelor's degree in public affairs, public policy, political science, or related field of study. This is Full-time position (40 hours).
- Aflac Federal Relations welcomes and encourages all qualified candidates to apply for the internship, including those from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented groups.
Job Knowledge and Skills
- 1-2 years of work experience
- A strong desire to work in advocacy, public policy, or public affairs in Washington, DC
- Demonstrates acceptance of responsibility, exhibits dependability and an openness to coaching
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research, writing, and analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and commitment to community and social justice
- Basic administrative and organizational skills
- Proficient in PC applications, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
Aflac IncorporatedRockville, MD
Create or sign into a ZipRecruiter account, and then apply on the company site¹
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.