The Mechanical Engineering Manager leads a team of mechanical engineers in taking technologies and products through their entire product life cycle from concept through requirement, design, fabrication, test, and delivery. Help maintain the highest standards of engineering quality, professional responsibility, and corporate integrity.
* Manage the work activities, deliverable, and environment for the Mechanical Engineering team:
o Interview and hire mechanical engineers as needed to build out the team
o Train and mentor engineers and other support staff
o Manage work assignments and workforce planning
o Conduct annual reviews, provide feedback and career path guidance
o Support professional skills development
o Provide mechanical engineering oversight and guidance
* Understand and drive organizational processes for the AS9100 quality management system related to design, manufacture, and test controls for the mechanical engineering team.
* Review, approve, and release drawings, analysis, test plans, and other mechanical engineering documentation.
* Support and conduct design reviews per established project plans, determining and adjudicating open action items, constraints to closure, and project risk elements.
* Enforce proper configuration control and document release processes, including oversight of SolidWorks PDM and other mechanical engineering tools.
* Maintain and grow resources for applicable mechanical engineering industry standards and specifications, ensure team awareness and compliance.
* Support team members in developing and maintaining engineering budget and schedule estimates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering.
* Minimum ten years of professional experience as an engineer.
* Minimum five years of experience leading an engineering team in delivering innovative hardware.
* Previous experience in small company, start-up, or growth transition environments highly desired.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
* Strong Leadership skills
* Strong Problem-solving skills
* Communication skills- both verbal and written, especially in area of interfacing with teams
* Organizational and planning skills
* Ability to mentor, motivate and educate early career engineers
* Ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary engineering teams
* Ability to generate and communicate budget and schedule estimates to project management
* Extensive knowledge of mechanical design and analysis; CAD, GD&T FEA, thermal environments