Assistant Art Director / Magazine / Dallas, TX
We’re a 30-year-old Dallas media company looking for a part-time graphic designer with the talents to transfer our magazine content (stories, photos, social media and advertising) to both print and web. We set a high bar for design abilities (both editorial and advertising) with a medium-paced workplace.
You’ll be responsible for
• Photography supervision
• Designing advertising and editorial layouts
• Working on magazine cover designs
• Designing online newsletters and promotional materials
• Working to boost our presence in social networking
You’ll work with our Art Director, our Publisher, and an editorial and sales staff dedicated to excellence in neighborhood publishing and communications.
Pay depends on skills and experience. You'll be able to work from home most days but may need to be in the office for several days a month.
Desired Skills & Experience
• You must be proficient with Mac computers and InDesign/Creative Cloud
• You'll have HTML5/responsible design templates
• Our websites are built on WordPress, so we need someone who is eager to jump into WordPress site maintenance and design.
• We need to see prior editorial and advertising design examples in your portfolio, and we need to know you will thrive and can be creative under pressure during our magazine deadline/production, as well as show us you can juggle multiple tasks.
• This is a great opportunity for a recent college grad with prior internship/college publication experience or someone who has worked at a company or two and is looking for a better opportunity to showcase your talent in a more relaxed, self-directed environment than you’ve probably experienced.
We publish four neighborhood magazines in Dallas, and each has a companion website, weekly e-news blasts, daily news updates, and individual Twitter and Facebook postings. We’re still successful with print, and we’re looking to make sure the businesses in our trade areas are familiar with our online offerings, too. Our offices are located in the Lakewood area of Dallas, and there are plenty of restaurants, shops and apartments within walking distance.
Advocate Media - Dallas
Why Work Here?We’re the neighborhood media company covering Lakewood/East Dallas, Preston Hollow, Oak Cliff, and Lake Highlands. We know where the best places to eat, drink, and play in our neighborhoods. We also know all the quirks, the people to talk to, and the best events. We print four monthly magazines, but we run four companion websites and social media sites. We also publish a city-wide daily email newsletter. Our digital advertising options are almost endless, and we’re always working on a few new ones, too.
Our people want to make a difference in the lives of others, and they are eager to work in a fast-paced hyper-local journalism environment.