Energy Research Analyst
Advanced Energy Raleigh, NC
- Posted: over a month ago
Energy Research Analyst
Advanced Energy is a non-profit planning, technical and engineering services firm whose vision is to ensure that energy is clean, affordable, reliable, efficient and safe for all people. We work with electric utilities, state, federal and local governments, manufacturers and a wide variety of public and private partners. We offer program design and implementation, consulting, training, testing and research to provide market-based energy-related solutions for our five markets: residential, commercial and industrial, motors and drives, solar and electric transportation.
We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our staff is the most valuable resource we have and we appreciate that all of our employees come from varied backgrounds, cultures, and experiences. By providing a supportive and respectful environment that promotes creativity and collaboration, Advanced Energy continues to make a lasting, positive difference in all of the work we do.
This position will provide advanced engineering services and expertise in the energy field to utilities, builders, federal and state agencies, and other customers. The position will support multiple projects and project teams across our market areas. Our projects focus on developing and delivering programs for utilities that can deliver economic benefit to consumers and increase customer satisfaction and engagement.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Knowledge of electric utility industry and the application of building technologies as a grid resource.
- Knowledge of building science principles and energy systems including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC).
- Relevant experience working for an energy utility provider or as a program administrator or consultant for energy utility including:
o Designing and conducting research such as field studies, pilot programs or demonstration projects with advanced technologies.
o Providing engineering calculations, energy modeling, measurement and verification, and technical design for utility programs with outputs for energy, demand and carbon reduction impacts.
o Working with building trades, trade allies or technology manufacturers.
- Preference for candidates with relevant certifications on data analysis or measurement and verification such as CMVP.
This position may require some travel to interface with customers, study participants or attend conferences, expected 10% of the time.
Resume should include information on software capabilities and data collection or analysis techniques.
- Conduct facility reviews and studies or site assessments to locate opportunities for improvements in productivity, quality and efficiency.
- Assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation for energy technologies according to a defined standard. May have input on standard development.
- Perform quality control, recommend solutions, define and interpret the importance of the implementation of corrective measures.
- Perform design reviews including load calculations, energy performance analysis or design documentation.
- Troubleshoot specific complex problems at facilities to improve performance, productivity and customer satisfaction.
- Perform engineering analysis and present concise results to customers.
- Provide hands on assistance in deploying new technologies in the field.
- Help establish equipment selection and measurement tools and techniques.
- Prepare reports and documentation delineating tasks, analysis, test results, and recommendations for further action. May provide engineering stamp on reports
- Create and conduct workshops and presentations.
- Design and develop products and services that take advantage of new knowledge generated by applied research and engineering studies.
- Coordinate applied research studies on a national basis, consulting with other organizations and experts.
- Analyze technology, resource needs, and market demand, to plan and assess the feasibility of projects.
- Acquire data from field/lab instruments and process into useful information.
- Work to establish a demand for further applied research and engineering studies.
- Develop and maintain own technical and professional knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies. Keep up with new technologies being deployed relevant to work.
- Provide technical mentoring for junior staff.
- Recommend improved procedures such as workflow, testing/calibration procedures, etc.
- Develop expertise through targeted development activities and new job experiences.
- Communicate with external clients.
- Exercise problem solving skills and take on new learning while working with customers and other industry professionals.
- Manage or participate on project teams.
- Establish and adhere to project scope, timeline and budget.
- Coordinate and direct projects, making detailed plans to accomplish goals and directing the integration of technical activities.
- Review and recommend product and process designs and changes.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Work to promote business opportunities with both new and repeat clients.
- Clarify and evaluate technical aspects of service requests from customers.
- Consult with clients and make recommendations for project specifications.
- Prepare and recommend proposals, contracts and cost estimates.
- Review and recommend proposals, contracts and cost estimates.
- Present and explain proposals, reports and finding to clients.
- Prepare technical papers and presentations that highlight our capabilities to potential customers.
- Assist in financial management, strategic direction and operation of the team.
- Communicate results of work to team and management.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department.
- Recommend the purchase of materials or services.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or relevant technical field and 7-9 years of engineering or related technical work experience is required. An equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered.
- Preferred to have PE and/or other certifications relevant to job duties.
- Problem solving and data interpretation skills; strong written and oral communication skills; ability to work in teams as well as independently; organization, time management and attention to detail; ability to plan and deliver projects; ability to develop and adhere to project budget; commitment to excellent customer service; technical writing and research skills.
- Intermediate skill level of Microsoft Office products.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions
In this role, the person will hold a valid driver's license and may travel to interface with customers. Some positions or projects could require occasional travel for periods up to a week. Customer sites may include industrial environments (plants and labs), construction sites, or homes. The individual may have to ascend and descend a ladder or crawl or kneel in small and contained spaces to perform inspections, collect data and/or detect errors. Some customer sites may require work in excessive hot or cold temperatures or exposure to the elements for short periods of time. Must wear personal protective equipment and follow company and/or customer safety protocols.
Location: Raleigh, NC Position Category: Engineer III
Employment Type: This is an exempt full-time position. There may be occasions where the hours of work may vary, be irregular, and be reasonably required to meet the goals of the organization. This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive and is subject to change. It is not an implied contract of employment.
Advanced Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all other protected statuses under federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions are based on job-related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request reasonable accommodation by sending an email to email@example.com.
ScienceView all jobs at Advanced Energy