Director/ Senior Director Clinical Development Business Operations
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer and acting as a trusted adviser, In this position you will provide business operations support to the Clinical Leadership Team (CLT) for execution of its strategies, goals, and objectives. This includes facilitating cross-functional team organization and collaboration as well as to support the CLT and other stakeholders. Operational leadership will include participating in the development and implementation of these strategies, goals, and objectives, as well as tracking and risk management to enable success.
Responsibilities will also include the leadership and management of the Project Management team within clinical development.
The jobholder will further facilitate interactions and strategic alignment between functional areas within Adaptimmune and will provide strategic leadership and operational management for end-to-end projects to ensure the effective progression of initiatives with Adaptimmune’s global portfolio.
- Manage and refine CLT business operations management processes. Maintain charters, meeting cadences, operating principles, agendas. Manage follow up items, track decisions and progress, establish communication plans for the Clinical Development organization, and drive “critical issues” when needed to support the CLT.
- Responsible for effectively leading and managing the Project Management team, ensuring project management resource are deployed effectively to support and achieve our project goals.
- Support career development and provide mentorship for direct reports
- Responsible for providing thought partnership to the CLT on a broad range of business-critical topics for driving the strategic planning processes for clinical development
- Along with the CLT - design, plan, facilitate, and manage key management meetings (e.g. goal setting and team-building offsites, departmental all-hands meetings, etc.).
- Facilitate the operations and interplay of the CLT with the governance framework for the company (ET/OLT)
- Act as a “Chief of Staff” to the CMO; driving special projects, identifying and suggesting ways to mitigate gaps in the business, keeping a forward “strategic” eye on upcoming key decision points, processes, etc. Execute against time-sensitive requests from the CMO. Support CMO with drafting of key senior level communications (e.g., board reports and slides, strategic internal and external presentations, all hands meetings, etc.)
- Liaise/partner between all line functional areas to facilitate strategy development and business execution.
- Leadership and management of initiatives within clinical development aimed at improving organizational efficiencies and standard business processes, including resource planning, risk management, and timeline development, and implementation/change management.
- Coordinate with other business operations staff to ensure common processes and aligned goals and objectives are developed by management and departmental teams. Recommend and facilitate implementation of best practices across teams
- Establish and maintain a culture and work environment that supports learning, trust, respect, open communication, collaboration, integration, and teamwork. Lead by example and facilitate resolution of issues between departments and across functional lines pertaining to project priorities and team dynamics. Demonstrate the ability to interact with colleagues at all levels
- Develop and coordinate resource planning across functions to assure that adequate and appropriate resources are being applied to projects
- Facilitate annual Clinical Development budgeting process, working with finance and budget owners to develop and finalize annual budgets. Work with team members, to ensure that clinical development initiatives are on time and on budget.
- Collaborates with legal, finance and other corporate functions to maintain continuity in planning, negotiation, forecasting and reporting metrics and milestones.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with senior leaders across the R&D organization.
- Develop, collaborate and implement department standards, processes, and participate/lead in other key corporate or improvement initiatives
- Proactively problem solve in a fast paced environment
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelors degree in healthcare related area or business required
- Minimum 10 years experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry (preferably in both smaller and larger companies), with either internal or external strategy experience and project management skills
- Experience of leading / managing a project management function
- Extensive experience in functional strategy / operational support roles, ideally globally.
- Strategic mindset with an ability to think broadly, refine questions and develop analytical frameworks
- 3-5 years of drug development management experience, or related skills in the biotech/pharmaceutical space
- MS/MBA or PhD preferred but not essential
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both spoken and written)
- Highly analytical thinker with sound business judgment and strong technical skills
- Strong leadership and influence management skills, including the ability to challenge the status quo
- Strong cross-functional strategic thinker with excellent critical, strategic, and analytical thinking skills
- Build “executive ready” project deliverables in partnership with CLT and project leaders
- Strong conflict resolution and consensus building skills. Takes accountability, develops and implements solutions to problems—does not blame others
- Ability to operate both tactically and strategically—understands and communicates the big picture while willing to roll up sleeves to get work done
- High emotional intelligence that educate and influence senior leaders; ability to manage up; driven to deliver positive results
- High level of personal integrity and ability to handle highly confidential information appropriately
- Ability to work both independently and effectively with cross-functional/global/matrix teams
- Global outlook with sensitivity and awareness of social and cultural differences
- Consistently motivated to work in a fast-paced, highly accountable, small company environment through a "can do" attitude as a collaborative, collegial professional who leads through influence and interpersonal skills
- Consistently demonstrate the capability to manage competing priorities and adapt effectively, delivering on deadlines with a sense of urgency while maintaining high-performance standards and attention to detail
- Be consistently committed to advancing a company culture of trust and respect for colleagues, self-improvement, and professional growth
- A strong initiative and willingness to take ownership and drive projects to completion
- Ability to drive to swift decisions balancing benefit and risk, and involving internal and external stakeholders and deliver on organizational goals
- Comfortable with ambiguity—able to work effectively in an evolving and dynamic environment, with experience developing structure and process to operate efficiently and effectively
- Good IT skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
At Adaptimmune we embrace diversity and equality of opportunity. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of age, colour, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other legally protected category. It is our intent that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
Powered by JazzHR
HealthcareView all jobs at Adaptimmune