Adaptation International is looking for a creative, dynamic, hardworking, and team-oriented person to join our organization. As a Climate Resilience Specialist – the individual will participate in a variety of projects and likely be involved in many different aspects of those projects. The role requires someone who can work semi-independently in a distributed team environment (with weekly check-ins), conduct research, proactively coordinate with other members of the team and the project partners, develop well written and concise reports, think creatively about solving problems and developing products that support the needs of our clients/partners. A commitment to the goals and values of Adaptation International and helping communities and organizations build climate resilience is essential.
This position will initially be focused on the implementation of a climate change vulnerability assessment training program and research project for gulf coast communities while also providing support for other resilience projects. It will include the review of adaptation and climate change vulnerability literature, development of specific training materials and remote training resources, conducting in-person workshops (once that becomes appropriate again), and capturing a variety of project-related data and outcomes.
· Synthesize information from a variety of sources, conduct analysis and summarize relevant results from existing literature, best practices, and current studies.
· Distill information into easily utilizable formats with concise summaries developed for different audiences.
· Write reports, summary papers, and develop other written products.
Community Engagement (45%)
· Participate in developing virtual or in-person workshop materials.
· Conduct pre-workshop interviews or focus groups.
· Create presentations and other innovative communication projects.
· Develop project websites
Project Coordination (20%)
· Support projects by maintaining relevant records, tracking participation in advisory groups, collecting contact list, and ensuring participation in relevant events.
· Coordinate, schedule, and book travel, arranging, and activities.
· Provide consistent support for internal team and client conversations.
· An inclusive and collaborative growth mindset, patience, leadership, and humor.
· Exceptional critical thinking skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently, proactively, and collaboratively to solve-problems under tight deadlines.
· Working knowledge of climate change science, impacts, adaptation, and resilience.
· A Bachelor’s, Master’s, or other advanced degrees in public policy, urban planning, climate change science, environmental science, environmental management, or other relevant fields.
· A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
· Experience working with and communicating effectively with communities and people from different backgrounds and with different abilities.
· Experience with policy development, strategic planning, risk assessment, urban planning, workshop design, stakeholder engagement, and collaboration.
· Excellent writing, presentation, and personal communication skills
· Willingness to travel (depending on COVID19 may be up to 25%).
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 suite of programs.
Adaptation International offers a flexible, family first work schedule. The position may be up to full time, but the number of hours per week and schedule will be determined specifically with the employee. Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received on or before June 22nd.
Adaptation International values diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences. In employment, AI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors
We believe that now is the time to take action to build resilience.
We believe that working collaboratively and including all voices gets the most meaningful results.
We believe that this engagement process is critical to developing effective adaptation strategies and equitable solutions.
By working together, we empower communities to thrive in the 21st century and beyond.
About Adaptation International
To help communities and organizations around the world build resilience to climate change. We use collaborative approaches to connect the best available science and tools with local and traditional knowledges to empower communities to be holistic, equitable, and adaptive.
Our vision is for a world in which every community is prepared to face their local challenges related to climate change, with plans for action that are socially, economically, and environmentally beneficial to the whole community.
Collaboration is Paramount
We can’t design perfect solutions and actions in isolation. By working collaboratively with our client partners, we’re better able to build their capacity so that they can continue to build resilience even after the end of our project.
The journey of building climate resilience is as important as the destination. Thus, in all the work we do, the process is as critical as the outputs. A well-designed process creates a lasting foundation that our client partners can build on to prepare for the impacts of a changing climate.
Local and Traditional Knowledge is Critical
Developing effective solutions requires integrating the best available science with the local and traditional knowledges that our client partners bring to the project. No one knows the communities and organizations better than the people we work with and we trust that knowledge.
Everyone Gets a Seat at the Table
The most severe impacts of climate change will be felt first by communities that already have a history of marginalization and trauma and are almost always under-represented in decision-making. They have important insights and need to be included in the process of developing effective and lasting climate solutions. Within AI, we value diversity and the opinions of all of our team members. Everyone will be given an equal opportunity to share their thoughts, ideas, and constructive or critical comments in a safe and open manner.
Leadership Through Innovation
Responding to the evolving threat of climate change requires constant adjustment, innovation, and leadership to stay on the front edge of climate preparedness. We are leaders in the field and valuable advisors when we bridge the gaps between theory and practice, science and action, and use those experiences to continually refine and inform our approaches.
We Are More Than Our Work
Climate change is a serious challenge, but we don’t approach our work as a somber grind. We enjoy each other’s company and the diverse perspectives of everyone we work with. We are real people with families and personal interests. We strive to support the whole person and foster a work/life balance within the organization. This balance allows our team to work hard, play hard, grow both personally and professionally, and make a difference in the world through both Adaptation International and our personal interests and actions.