Acuity Brands (NYSE: AYI) is transforming the lighting industry. We take pride in our 12,000 employees, and they take pride in working with the best in the industry. Join a team committed to lighting the way to a more brilliant, connected, and productive world. Individually we are talented, but together we are unstoppable.
This position is in the Model Shop of our facility in Decatur, Georgia. Acuity Brands continues to ensure the health and safety of all our associates, including our onsite team for Model Shop prototyping, in compliance with the health regulation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Construct engineering and marketing samples used to evaluate product modifications, new product concepts, photometric performance, and suitability for approval on competitive specifications.
- Fabricate prototype parts and prototype tooling: Use knowledge gained from experience to fabricate prototype parts, as well as design and fabricate prototype tooling (55%)
- Administer prototype process: Determine method and schedule to make the prototype or each part. Maintain lines of communication with all internal customers and supervisor. Provide status updates in Microsoft Excel (10%)
- Display creation for customer events: Create displays that are used to train and educate customers visiting our Lighting Center or tradeshow events (10%)
- Ad hock specialty parts: Assist customer issues in the field by creating one-time special parts as needed (5%)
- Provide feedback for prototypes: Attend product design meetings that involve prototype requirements to align with the lead product designers the effective prototype design and expectation (5%)
- Mentor and train new associates: Use knowledge gained from experience to train other less experienced associates in the proper methods of prototyping and specialized equipment operation (10%)
- Part and material retrieval: Driving company vehicle to retrieve materials from third-party suppliers, as well as deliver finished prototypes to local, internal customers as needed (5%)
Minimum of a Technical or Associates Degree preferred
Minimum of two to four years of experience in machine tool operation and CNC Programming for Mill
Proficiency with each of the following tools:
Machining: Thorough working knowledge of CNC milling programming, setup and operation (up to four axis). Thorough working knowledge of conventional milling and lathe setup and operation
Sheet metal: Thorough working knowledge of CNC press brake setup and operation, what tools to use and form sequence for material .012 - .125 thick. Thorough working knowledge of manual press brake setup and operation. Thorough working knowledge of CNC turret punch programming setup and operation. Ability to blank and form a part in tolerance. Ability to design/make tools and jigs to form part.
Welding: A working knowledge of welding using TIG, MIG, & brazing
CAD: Thorough working knowledge of computer drafting is essential. Preferred experience with AutoCAD 2D, Inventor 3D, SolidWorks
3D Printing: Thorough working knowledge of Fused Deposition Modeling and Poly Jet Printing required. Knowledge of all current process used for 3D Printing a plus.
- Able to operate the following: Precision surface grinder, Foundry, MIG & TIG welder, braze welder, spot welder, hand grinder, bead blaster, sand blaster, CNC brake press, brake press, CNC turret punch press, CNC milling machine, milling machine, lathe, band saws, table saw, radial arm saw, horizontal band saw, forklift, shear, hand brake, bead roller, punch press, roller, notcher, box truck, various hand tools and 3D printers
- Possesses an intermediate understanding of Microsoft Excel
- Able to assist in leading the team when Model Shop Manager is not present
- Able to receive a DOT medical card, as part of this role will require driving company vehicle
- Physically able to lift up to 50 lbs., efficiently handle objects, and stand for extended periods of time
Why Work Here?Acuity Brands, Inc. (NYSE: AYI) is a market-leading industrial technology company. We design, manufacture, and bring to market innovative products and services that make the world more brilliant, productive, and connected including building management systems, lighting, lighting controls, and location-aware applications. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, with operations across North America, Europe, and Asia, we are powered by approximately 12,000 dedicated and talented associates.
This is a full time, salaried position with full benefits. There is opportunity to grow within the organization.