Senior Concept Artist - Sledgehammer Games
We are on the hunt for an experienced Senior level Concept Artist to join our award-winning Sledgehammer Games' team. We see concept art as the place where art direction starts. Every great idea has to start somewhere, and you'll be part of a team that will help in creating the visual direction for the project
- You'll be creating concepts to solve a wide variety of problems, ranging from designing what things will look like to finding visual solutions that enhance gameplay and support the project's narrative
- Story is very important to us and you'll be challenged at every turn to tell interesting narrative in all your designs
- Your keen eye and art sensibilities will be key in creating artwork that inspires and informs the team
- Being part of the concept team entails ideating w/ sketches, to creating awesome environmental designs, character designs, prop designs, storyboards, 2d graphic art, etc., in the service of advancing the narrative and enhancing game design
- You will be actively researching and creating concepts that would fit into all stages of production that includes loose sketches, blue sky paintings, pre-visualization, production paintings, renders, paint-overs, mark-up, marketing assets, and so forth
- You will be working closely with the team to ensure the concepts are providing effective visual solutions that balance art direction and game design needs
- Seek out additional knowledge by interacting with the art and design staff, as well as learning and playing the game when needed, etc., so that concept designs are well-researched and are well-informed
- 5+ years of experience creating high-quality 2D art, concepts, and designs for games
- Demonstrates strong sketching abilities as well as the ability to render, matte paint, designing the occasional graphics like logos
- You will use methods/art techniques in the most effective way to solve visual problems to help w/ delivering design solutions that are timely and communicative to the team
- Strong understanding of architecture and environmental design
- Solid art foundation background in traditional art skills and can demonstrate an understanding of fundamentals in composition, perspective, proportion, scale, value, anatomy and color theory
- You are self-driven, dedicated to advancing your craft, and eager to learn new techniques and software
- You are an excellent communicator and are able to work independently, in groups, and with multiple departments and different personalities, and be proactive in resolving problems
- Possesses the ability to take direction and feedback from the team as well as contributing your own ideas
- Shows an interest in delivering the best possible results and puts in effort to achieve them
- Ability to guide and mentor other artists
- Be an expert in Photoshop.
- Utilize 3d applications like Maya, Zbrush, Sketch-up, etc., to facilitate work when needed.
- Must be comfortable with learning new tools, including some of the game tools.
- Must have a portfolio of work for consideration. Web based portfolios are preferred.
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, we're the video game development team behind Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, making AAA games has been our greatest passion. The strength of our teams makes us not only excellent at what we do, but at how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be, whether they are artists, engineers, producers, or designers. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a gamemaker. We're a Call of Duty studio that prides itself on innovation and taking risks, which is one of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering, and art teams, we've been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we're looking for all-new talent and game developers for our exciting next project.