Character Tech Art Intern (Egerton Internship)
Character Tech Art Intern (Egerton Internship)
What is the Egerton Internship?
The Egerton Internship is a n opportunity within Activision's Central Tech group, created in honor of a long-time Activision artist and animator, Jamie Egerton, whom we recently lost after an 18-month battle against brain cancer. His wry sense of humor was combined with an unsurpassed work ethic and critical eye. He drove us to work harder, create new ways of doing things, and shake our heads as much as laugh. He was an irreplaceable team member, and a good friend. Jamie worked on every Call of Duty title that Treyarch has made, as well as many other games. We'll miss his presence in the office and his Transformers Jeep in the parking lot. It's a big pair of boots to step into, but we're looking for a promising and tough-minded student to carry on his work here with us.
Central Tech collaborates with Activision's AAA studios to develop new tools, techniques, and methodologies, and to help integrate them into each studio's unique development environment. One of Central Tech's main focuses is research and development for next generation game character pipelines. This includes utilizing and developing the most up to date software and hardware for motion capture, performance capture, actor likeness acquisition, character art, character animation, rigging, and more.
We are in search of an intern who will specialize in character art, animation, and rigging. This internship is a unique opportunity to get hands-on experience with some of our newest game asset creation pipelines as part of our R&D team.
This is a summer internship (approximately 3 months). The position will be based in Los Angeles, CA
- Working with software such as Maya, MotionBuilder , and Photoshop, as well as custom and proprietary software and tools.
- You'll create rigs, character art, animation and other assets to test in-development tools and pipelines.
- You'll be cleaning up, modifying, and QC- ing facial/body animation and performance capture data - working directly with the department Directors to identify and execute on the art/animation goals of the group.
- You'll be learning and following industry standards and best practices as part of a multi-disciplinary Research and Development team.
- You'll also be collaborating with our Capture Studio team, assisting with day-to-day development issues, identifying problems and finding creative solutions.
- We'll need your assistance on our motion capture and actor likeness acquisition shoots, and on production assets.
- Spend a summer focusing on a meaningful project that directly impacts game development while having an unparalleled experience.
- Participate in learning and development tech talks to understand how our employees come together to launch AAA games
- Get to know your fellow interns in the Los Angeles area through various social events
- You are currently enrolled in a 3D Animation, 3D Art, video game or other related program
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized with a positive, pro-active and self-motivated attitude
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work on a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to take direction well and address notes
- A passion for developing high quality assets for games
- Experience with Unreal
- Experience with Maya and Photoshop
- Available for a 12 week internship starting late May or late June
- Experience with realistic human character art/animation
- Experience with Motion Builder, Blade, Z-Brush, Agisoft , Faceware and other relevant software
- Knowledge of Python or other scripting experience
- Knowledge of FACS, human facial anatomy, facial animation and related topics will help you level up, quickly
How to Apply to The Egerton Internship
Interested candidates should submit aresume and cover letter expressing why they feel the Egerton Internship would be a perfect fit for their background, skillset, career and personal interests. Only candidates with cover letters will be considered . And please do not let distance deter you if you're applying from outside of California. We look forward to hearing from you!
Activision is looking for talented and innovative students to join our team for the 2019 Summer. We thrive on a culture of collaboration, respect, and fun. All Activision interns will receive a meaningful project and an unparalleled experience. We'll provide the tools and resources you need to learn. The challenging and creative work you do throughout your internship will directly impact the game you are contributing on. Internships will be offered at our development studios across the country as well as Activision's corporate headquarters.
Headquartered in Santa Monica, CA, Activision operates at the intersection of technology, entertainment, esports, and consumer products. Activision is more than just the leading developer and publisher of video games, we are the creators of some of the world's biggest, most ground-breaking titles in the industry. Our portfolio includes Call of Duty®, Crash Bandicoot™, Spyro ®,and Sekiro ™ . More information about Activision and its products and services can be found on the company's website, www.activision.com .