We are seeking a Registered Nurse to join our team!
Two Days per Week to start but will grow quickly to 5 days 8:30am - 3:00pm
OVERALL OBJECTIVE: The R.N. shall coordinate, implement and supervise all nursing and personal care services at Active Life Adult Day Health Care Center. The R.N. shall provide skilled nursing care. All policies and procedures of Active Life Adult Day Health Care Center, applicable laws and licensing requirements will be followed at all times. Nurse will be on duty at all times of center operation.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Program Director
RESPONSIBLE FOR: L.V.N., Program Aides assigned to the Nursing Department
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conducts initial nursing assessments of all participants; provides assessments, monitors health problems and develops and implements nursing care plans. Ensures person centered care planning, includes participant, family members and/or caregivers in the development of care plan. Documents all treatments daily.
2. Monitors vital signs for each participant, including blood pressure, on a regular basis.
3. Assists participants in maintaining optimum health, coordinating and supervising health screening programs, assisting with prescribed medications, and giving first aide, as required.
4. Provides health counseling to participants and their families on an individual and group basis.
5. Develops and provides health related training to staff and families.
6. Refers participants and their families to appropriate community health care agencies or facilities, acts as liaison with such organizations.
7. Responsible for the coordination of personal care activities of all participants including activities of living training and continence training. Supervises the program aides in their personal care duties and oversees the staff participating in personal care giving, while also providing personal care .
8. Acts as nursing consultant for the staff and acts as primary liaison with the participant's physician when appropriate.
9. Completes signed and dated quarterly progress notes, and six-month reassessments on all participants. Completes reassessments as needed due to change of status, lengthy absence, hospitalization and as needed.
10. Maintains current, written case management records; prepares a variety of written reports and correspondence.
11. Participates in the activities of the center, conducting classes, assisting with meals and clean-up. When two or more nurses are on site, R.N. may accompany participants to and from the center on outings, or to the physician or hospital on a relief or emergency basis.
12. Serves as a member of the multi-disciplinary team and participates in the initial assessments, care planning, and on-going re-evaluation of participant's needs.
13. Coordinates timing of therapist’s services for participants as determined by care plans. Supervises maintenance program.
14. Represents the agency in contacts with human service, health care and community organizations, groups and individuals, and with the public; may attend community meetings, particularly those related to aging.
15. Assists with marketing, public relations and fundraising efforts of the agency.
16. Maintains data collection, time studies and all reports required by the agency.
17. Responsible for assessing participant’s ability to self-medicate and providing training to participants related to self-medicating.
18. Responsible for supervision of all activities related to medications; to include administration of drugs, destruction of drugs, maintenance of drug supplies and medications, supervision of all drugs stored at the center, and keeping of a record which lists all prescription medications stored overnight.
19. Responsible for the provision of emergency care and for arranging transportation to a medical facility when necessary.
20. Notifies participant’s physician of any marked changes in participant’s condition.
21. Supervises continence training program
22. Maintain up-to-date procedure manuals for all aspects of the nursing department.
Other Duties as Assigned:
1. Delegates tasks to LVNs
2. Assists with all participant health problems
3. Oversees Special Diets production and ensures participants receive their specific therapeutic diets as prescribed by the PCP and assessed by the RD.
4. Reviews all paperwork generated by LVNs
5. Communicates with Caregivers over telephone and in person; functions as the medical liaison with the participants PCP.
6. Notifies participant PCP of any unusual incident occurrences
7. Ensures all participants have a new flow sheet each month.
8. Ensures all flow sheets from the previous month are completed and signed and filed prior to the 10th of the month.
9. Meets with Pharmacist quarterly and follows up on all pharmacist recommendations
10. Provide training in behavior management strategies for wandering and assist in providing personal care in conjunction with center LCSW.
11. The job description is in no way meant to describe exactly what the job duties are. It is a guideline to provide a frame of reference of job requirements. Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of management.
1. Knowledge of public health nursing principles, with particular reference to aging; of physical assessment techniques and care planning methods; health counseling techniques and practices; and community health services and facilities which are available to participants and their families.
2. Demonstrated skills and experience to assess and monitor elderly health care; provide counseling; conduct health education/training programs; maintaining accurate written and oral reports; use of sound judgment in emergency situations; deal effectively with families, staff and community.
3. Satisfactory completion of an approved nursing school with a current license to practice, preferably as a Public Health Nurse licensed by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
4. Experience in working with frail and chronically ill elderly persons and in a multidisciplinary team.
5. Ability to assume other roles as needed in the course of program activities.
6. Flexibility, initiative, creativity and excellent organizational and time management skills.
7. Prefer Bilingual (Spanish, etc.)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
T.B. and health physical clearance for reaching, bending, stooping crouching, kneeling and grasping; have full range of motion; background screened thru Live Scan, ability to lift 50 lbs.; ability to lift and transfer participants; must have current First Aid and CPR; must have reliable private vehicle, proof of CA drivers license and provide proof of current vehicle insurance.