Who We Are
Achievement Prep is an award-winning college-preparatory public charter school network committed to historically underserved communities of Southeast Washington, DC. Our flagship middle school, which opened in 2008, serves approximately 500 scholars in 4th – 8th grade. Opening in 2013, our elementary school, serves approximately 350 scholars in K – 3rd grade. It also includes an early childhood partnership with AppleTree Institute, which serves approximately 160 preK3 and preK4 scholars. Our mission is to prepare students to excel as high-achieving scholars and leaders in high school, college and beyond.
What You Will Do
The Human Resources Manager is directly responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of human resources for the Achievement Prep Network. S/he ensures that Achievement Prep human resources provides excellent and timely customer service, supports high performance and engenders an outcomes-driven organizational culture. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for managing HR functions such as employee relations, compensation and benefits, certification, compliance, onboarding and offboarding, time and attendance, and payroll. S/he works with leadership to address employee needs and manage personnel issues. The Human Resources Manager is outcomes-driven, organized, customer friendly and committed to the Achievement Prep mission.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will:
HR Operation & Systems
· Ensure HR policies and procedures are aligned to organizational needs and compliant with labor regulations and oversight agencies
· Maintain accuracy of the Achievement Prep Academy Employee Handbook and ensure staff are provided the information
· Lead the work of carrying out policies and practices throughout the organization (including training managers and staff and full implementation)
· Oversee the efficient and accurate processing and management of HR paperwork, including new hire paperwork
· Establish and maintain employee personnel files to ensure accuracy and compliance with OSSE and employment laws
· Maintain department records and reports
· Make recommendations for policy improvements, where appropriate
· Set and monitor metrics for the quality of HR service delivery and work with departments to continuously improve
· Support case management of personnel issues and workers’ compensation situation and seek legal guidance as needed
· Guide and support management in navigating terminations, disciplinary actions, and other sensitive employment issues
· Represent the organization with key vendors, ensuring deliverables are met and recommending modifications to improve performance
· Oversee and ensure time and attendance for employees is accurately tracked and reported
· Coordinate and manage employee payroll and benefits, including all related ad hoc and annual changes
· Support the process of staff offers (under the direction of senior leadership) and employee contracts
· Determine modifications to benefit and compensation programs and monitor compliance and competitiveness of the same
· Create and facilitate new employee onboarding and orientation sessions
· Manage the performance evaluation process for instructional and non-instructional staff (including training managers and staff, full implementation, and spearheading system refinement)
· Oversee the process of providing staff with internal and external professional development opportunities (including sourcing, recommending, promoting, tracking, and following up to ensure broader dissemination within the organization)
· Surface insights to improve talent development and drive higher rates of employee engagement, satisfaction, and retention
· Establish management practices that support positive employer-employee relationships and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation
· Support the development of the Talent/HR functions though researching and implementing best practices and procedures
“Wind In The Sails” Support for Schools
· Be on campus from at least 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily; be able to arrive earlier and/or stay later as needed
- Provide leadership to all staff and scholars in establishing a positive, structured, and achievement-oriented school culture
· Participate regularly in projects and initiatives that integrate Network Office staff into schools
· Support “all-hands-on-deck” times of for schools: beginning of school year, standardized testing, all school assemblies, etc.
· Maintain a culture centered on our ethos and core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
· Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
· Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
· Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment and hold others accountable for the same
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
You Must Have
· Bachelor’s degree
· 2+ years of human resources experience
· HS Diploma
· 7+ years of relevant human resources experience
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organization development, employee relations, and/or training and development
It Would Be Nice for You to Have
- Degree in human resources management or SHRM certification
- Charter school or school district human resources experience
- Working knowledge of District of Columbia regulations and employment law
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to ensure every child is effectively served by competent and caring adults. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of, or by, all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You fully understand that the quality of the talent in an organization directly impacts its ability to achieve the mission. You know it’s not just about getting people into the door. It’s about ensuring they are brought onboard well, continuously trained and developed, managed and held accountable in a fair and consistent manner, and provided with opportunities to grow within their roles or into new ones. You respect timelines and know that meeting the same are not optional or to be taken for granted. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
· 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
· Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
· Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
· Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
· Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
· Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
o Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from direct supervisor
o Regular internal professional development tailored to the requirements of the position and staff needs
o Opportunities to participate in external professional development that increases effectiveness in the role
· Compensation & Benefits:
o Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation and benefits
o Medical, vision, dental benefits
o Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
o 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
· It Pays to Stay:
o Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
o Gifts and Achievement Prep swag