AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather's many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Multimedia Journalist/Weather Reporter (MMJ) will produce innovative, unique stories and deliver content daily. These stories will frequently be reported on from locations where severe weather or other key events are occurring. This includes reporting live from events in the field, for all AccuWeather properties, including the AccuWeather Television Network. This role requires awareness of weather news, extensive travel and the ability to provide reporting in extreme weather conditions. Additionally, it is necessary to have the ability to deliver appropriate analytic reviews and to demonstrate proper efforts to achieve video goals for the network and digital platforms.
- Generate news stories based on the weather and assignments
- Pitch content ideas that align to franchise production and provide implementation strategies, budgets and deliverables to Field Supervisor and Executive Producer
- Aggressively pursue and arrange interviews with individuals and agencies to gather information for news and weather information
- Write accurate and informative scripts that engage viewers, prepare and present news reports under deadline pressure
- Extensive travel to the location of weather news stories and communicating to ensure production requirements are completed
- Present live and recorded reports on a timely basis during breaking weather news stories, sometimes in challenging situations
- Exercise strong editorial judgment and adhere to company's standards and practices
- Demonstrate teamwork by working cooperatively with videographers, producers and other team members
- Represent the AccuWeather brands with integrity and positivity
- Strong knowledge of standard field camera equipment for recording and live shots including LiveU transmission
- Ability to perform quality video editing using Adobe Premiere software.
- General understanding of video delivery systems ( FTP, WeTransfer, GOOGLE DRIVE, etc.)
- Contribute to company's digital and social media platforms on a continuous basis
- Other duties as assigned
- BA or BS from accredited university in journalism, communications and/or meteorology preferred
- Minimum of 4 years as a field reporter/anchor/mmj
- Proven ability to enterprise news stories and deliver them in an informative and engaging fashion
- Extensive and proven excellance in news-style writing and live reporting experience
- Experience in producing and editing content for digital media and/or network tv
- Demonstrated ability to shoot and edit video at a network level
- Ability to work as an individual-operating multimedia journalist at most times unless additional support personnel is deemed necessary and available
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, travel and work with heavy equipment and carry cases of that equipment which could average around 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions
- Must be adept at using social media and align strategy with the AccuWeather social media team
- Understanding of basic meteorology and weather news relationship
- Must have valid driver's license in state of residency
- Must have a valid passport for international travel
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.