Patient Care Assistant
Access Hospital Dayton Dayton, OH
- Posted: over a month ago
- $12 to $16 Hourly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision
Position: Patient Care Assistant (PCA)
Direct Reports: Nursing Supervisor
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) establishes a therapeutic relationship with assigned patients and helps with
daily living. Responsible for the overall maintenance of a therapeutic environment in the psychiatric unit.
Takes vital signs, weighs patients and collects routine specimens. Provides direct and indirect patient
care under the direction of a registered nurse. Provides for the personal care and comfort of psychiatric
patients. Provides a safe, clean environment. Participates in performance improvement and continuous
quality (CQI) activities.
• Orients patients to the unit, performs all duties in the PCA role in the admissions process.
• Performs and records patient vital signs, intake-output, blood glucose checks for the RN to
• Provides delegated nursing care, i.e., transferring patients, assisting with ADLs.
• Continuously observes patients’ behavior, mental status and activities, notifies RN of any
changes or unusual occurrences, documents on the patients’ observation forms and room
checks for contraband.
• Demonstrates the ability to identify behaviors that require intervention.
• Escorts patients when leaving the unit for activities and scheduled tests.
• Able to perform patient safety checks at scheduled times, documents appropriately.
• Responsible for one-on-one observation for high-risk patients.
• Able to utilize non-violent crisis intervention.
• Assists with therapeutic groups under the direction of the RN and LPN.
• Participates in patient care conferences.
• Communicates appropriately and clearly to the treatment team, RNs, LPNs, physicians and
• Demonstrates the ability to set limits for patients and other de-escalation techniques.
• Documentation meets current standards and policies.
• Treats patients and families with respect and dignity, provides emotional support.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and
reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
• Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
• Maintains PAR levels for supplies for the unit.
• Collects lab samples as directed by RN/LPN and labels them appropriately.
• Operates equipment safely and correctly.
• Maintains a good working relationship with the department and with the other departments of
• Orients new PCA to the unit staff and to PCA duties.
• Demonstrates the ability to be organized and flexible, acts appropriately in
• Leads mental health groups as assigned by RN and accurately documents participation and
response of each patient.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Meets dress code standards; appearance is professional, neat and clean.
• Completes annual educational requirements.
• Maintains regulatory requirements and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
• Wears identification while on duty.
• Attends in-services and returns in a timely fashion to the unit.
• Attends required staff meetings and provides feedback to improve services.
• Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality (CQI) activities.
• Complies with all organization policies, procedures and staff handbook. Completes all
documentation as outlines in policy and procedures.
• High school diploma or its equivalent.
• Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within a particular
• Current state STNA, CDCA and MHT license preferred.
• A minimum of six (6) months experience in a behavioral healthcare setting.
• CPI certification preferred within (60) days of hire.
• CPR Certification within (60) days of hire
• Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing. Additional
• Basic Computer knowledge
• Strong interpersonal skills
• For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and
environment, see following description.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential function of the position without compromising patient care.
Access Hospital Dayton
Access Hospital in Dayton, Ohio, offers specialized, caring, inpatient mental health and substance abuse programming designed to assist adults who are in need of crisis stabilization. The inpatient mental health program we offer treats issues such as depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, and age related mental illness such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. We offer alcohol and substance abuse treatment and recovery programming including medically assisted detox. Treatment is provided in a safe and secure environment that is conducive to healing and recovery. Services include daily visits with a psychiatrist, individualized and group therapy, 24-hour nursing care, medication management, dual-diagnosis treatment options, case management and discharge planning.
2611 Wayne AvenueDayton, OH