Acceleration Academies is an innovative education partner helping young adults overcome real-life challenges to earn their high school diploma tuition-free with state or local school districts.
- Education: Bachelor's degree or higher
- Years of Experience: 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Certification: Special Education (K-12) endorsement valid in the state of Washington
- Background Check: Appropriate state and federal criminal history clearance
Location: Bethel Acceleration Academy
Position: Special Education Content Coach
FTE: 1.0 (Full time) but will also consider (.5) part time candidates
Special Education Content Coaches serve as one of the learning resources for our Graduation Candidates (GC), collaborating within a team environment to (1) support GCsboth academically and personally through a case management model, (2) differentiate and support the competency-based blended curriculum in whichGCSdemonstrate proficiency through formative and summative assessments, and (3) ensure that every GC masters the content on the path to high school graduation and post-secondary success.
- Assist with the development of Personalized Learning Plans for GCs
- Support new GC enrollment recruitment and engagement efforts
- Serve as an advisor for assigned GCs by facilitating communication between the learner, his or her family when appropriate, and the GC support team, as well as monitoring attendance, academic progress, and overall wellness
- Responsible for collecting data, planning, development, and implementation of IEPs for the GC) with exceptionalities
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques through curriculum modification and differentiation of instruction, as appropriate, for GCs who have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
- Demonstrate skills in analyzing and using data for instructional decision-making
- Co-teach with Content Coaches by modeling instructional practices and interventions
- Monitor all required data for compliance with the FTE requirements for local, state, and federal reports
- Conduct regular progress monitoring and assessments to gauge individual progress
- Participate in the development and success of GC data meetings, Professional Development workshops, and other school/ community events
- Provide information and resources to staff, parents/guardians and GCs) regarding all aspects of services (educational, social, medical, l) available to GCs with exceptionalities
- Ensure that all Content Coaches and staff are aware of the needs and services for each GCs with exceptionalities by facilitating IEP goal meetings
- Assist the Director in the oversight of the ESE program and attend district meetings when requested
- Participate in academy meetings and other community events
Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bilingual preferred
- Proficient understanding of ESE (Exceptional Student Education), ELL (English Language Learner), and behavior intervention practicesExperience working in a non-traditional school setting and/or with youth who may be considered at-risk
- Demonstrates a commitment and passion for supporting high school aged youth, who have disengaged from a traditional school setting, by creating opportunities for academic and personal breakthroughs
- Strong understanding of and comfort with the use of technology in an educational setting.
- Experience with any of the following: project-based learning, instructional coaching, portfolio assessment, a competency-based education model, cooperative learning, integration of technology and cross-disciplinary learning, alternative assessments and integrating school to career experiences into the curriculum
- Displays ability to diplomatically diffuse tension and deal with intense situations
- Adapts to changing conditions in a fast-paced setting
- Demonstrates the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Communicates and builds relationships with internal and external constituencies
- Identifies and implements strategies to improve individual and group productivity and content mastery
- Uses excellent listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal and writing skills
- Demonstrates superior time-management, organizational skills, and accurate record keeping
- Accepts personal responsibility and seeks feedback from colleagues and administration
- Respects personal privacy and maintains the confidentiality of privileged information
- Thorough knowledge of the following:
- Microsoft Office Suite of applications
- Google Suite of applications, e.g., Google mail; Google drive, etc.
- Mobile technologies, e.g., smart phones, tablets, etc.
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Upholds Acceleration Academies’ policies and follows guidelines and procedures
- Develops positive rapport with staff, GCs, and the Acceleration Academy community
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment and Work Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is consistent with that of a collaborative school environment.
Acceleration Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. It is understood that other related duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all aspects of the position, described below satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.