Senior Network Engineer
AccelerEd’s values are at the core of everything we do, from our ongoing relationships with clients and partners to our daily interactions with team members across the organization. Adopting these values is essential to supporting the company’s objectives and inspiring employees to new levels of productivity while helping them achieve their professional goals. Our values include Act with Integrity; Focus on Customers; Engage with Respect; Collaborate Always; and Innovate with Passion. Please read more about these values at the end of this document.
As a staff member of NetOps team, the Senior Network Engineer will design, configure, troubleshoot, and analyze LAN/WAN and VoIP infrastructures with specific emphasis on network integration and continuous availability. The Senior Network Engineer will leverage their substantial expertise in Cisco Networking Products and Services to ensure a reliable, scalable and secure high-speed network infrastructure that meets ongoing and changing business service requirements for customers at global headquarters and stateside branch offices. Occasional travel may be required for LAN deployment.
- Assist Network Architect in design and lead efforts in implementing new solutions to improve the performance, availability, and security of customer networks.
- Provide highest level escalation support to Network and IT support engineers for all network issues including but not limited to ensuring all network devices are monitored and maintained correctly in management solution, switch port provisioning, firewall configuration, and network troubleshooting.
- Determine which network equipment and solutions are required to best meet customer goals. Advise on what network operating system versions and configurations should be implemented to ensure customer networks operate efficiently and securely.
- Evaluate and test next generation network systems and hardware recommended by vendors; work with other IT units on proposed technologies and develop systematic processes between the various groups to ensure that any proposed systems are compatible with network architecture and integration techniques.
- Configure and deploy managed LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including routers, switches, firewalls, smartUPS, and other network systems.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, etc.
- Draft new and update existing network operations policy and procedure documentation as required by job duties.
- Identify, analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware & software network-related problems encountered by end-users of enterprise network, Internet, wireless, server, desktop, and new computer technology.
- Lead efforts to ensure timely customer status updates of ongoing issues via phone, email and/or ticket notes.
- Perform network system administration on network servers as needed.
- Perform installation and troubleshooting of campus and remote-campus network cabling infrastructure as necessary.
- Use established tracking system to log requests, monitor progress, track problem resolution, identify patterns of failure, research bug fixes and implement solutions. Communicate with manager and team regarding unresolved problems.
- Work with vendors to resolve hardware operating system issues; research and test possible solutions and implement solutions. Communicate with telecom/internet service provider vendors, hardware vendors, software vendors and various IT teams and Tier III support as required to assess, troubleshoot and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- Analyze bugs in network systems software to resolve and implement solutions.
- Enforce the network security and installation processes in established Network Vulnerability Remediation Procedures. Remediation tasks include but are not limited to changing configuration of services on network devices and installing vendor and Network Architect-approved Operating System releases.
- Coordinate vendor on-site visits with remote-campus office contacts as required to facilitate infrastructure buildout, troubleshooting and resolution of issues and incidents as necessary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Formal Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline is highly desirable
- Must have an active CCNP (preferred) or able to receive a CCNP
- A valid driver’s license for local travel
- Ability to commute at least once a week and as needed
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of Cisco/Palo Alto Firewalls, Cisco Switches/Routers, Cisco Nexus, Cisco MPLS, Cisco Meraki Wireless Access Points/Switches/Routers, as well as network monitoring systems such as: Orion SolarWinds; working knowledge of Linux and Windows server based systems.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in computer systems or network engineering, including at least 3 years in a multiple shift Network Operations Center environment.
- Minimum 3 years of experience installing and configuring CISCO Switches (i.e., Series 2900, 3700, 3800, 3900, 4500, 6500. Catalyst 9000 Series Preferred)
- Minimum 3 years of experience in installing and configuring CISCO routers (i.e., ASR 1000 and ISR 4000 series)
- Minimum 3 years of experience installing and configuration CISCO firewalls (i.e., ASA 5500 Series)
- Demonstrated experience working within ITIL service management frameworks, ServiceNow strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with instrumenting network devices and services, generating ad-hoc reports and configuration management using SolarWinds Orion.
- In depth knowledge and experience with configuring and upgrading Cisco routers, firewalls, and switches, demonstrated experience administering Palo Alto firewalls.
- Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting and resolving transport related problems.
- Demonstrated experience in Layer 2 based protocols in a Cisco environment (L2TP, STP, VLAN)
- Demonstrated experience in Layer 3 routing protocols in a Cisco environment (OSPF, BGP, EIGRP)
- Demonstrated experience in troubleshooting VPN issues
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to configure, maintain, and network operating systems and computer hardware.
- Ability to analyze logs to identify problems and perform root cause analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to do systems performance monitoring
- Ability to learn and provide support for the corporate network and apply new technical knowledge quickly.
- Possesses working knowledge in at least one technical area, addressing and resolving problems with some guidance and support
- Familiarity with Zero Trust networking concepts preferred
- Familiarity with Software Defined Network concepts preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Strong network management skills and experience managing rollouts and projects.
- Ability to listen and communicate information effectively with a diverse client and vendor base at all levels of skill and deliver customer support in-person and over the phone professionally.
- Ability to support enterprise objectives by training others in the use of their computers and applications.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills; attention to detail and accuracy in work; and time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and/or on a team and meet deadlines
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in the following:
- TCP/IP and IP addressing
- System and network monitoring tools
- Network administration
- Windows OS
- Network analysis tools
- Cisco hardware administration
- ITIL methodology
TechnologyView All AccelerEd Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.