- Posted: over a month ago
The Program Manager is responsible for the successful delivery of programs and projects through a disciplined project management process in close collaboration with business partners, team members and various IT functions. This individual will assume end-to-end accountability for single or multiple concurrent projects and large programs consisting of multiple projects. The Program Manager is a strategic partner to UMGC’s EPMO Portfolio team and will coordinate the work with project managers, create and maintain interlocking schedules for projects of a program, track program interdependencies, maintain and present status of the program, track, and address risks/issues at the program level, among other duties. In addition to program management duties the Program Manager will provide process leadership and support to other Project Managers in structuring projects, consult on the use of project management tools and will lead process improvement initiatives. The Program Manager will also serve as a mentor to project managers.
- Understands and communicates strategic plans to the team. Relates how the program accomplishes the strategic plans of the University and Business Unit and fosters and recognizes strategic thinking.
- Leads and inspires cross functional teams to achieve successful execution of strategic programs and to expand their technical knowledge. Holds self and team accountable for high performance standards and coaches the team to effectively manage changing priorities.
- Acts as principal point of contact with senior management to assure management understanding of program status, fosters resolution of problems, and coordinates efforts among management as necessary to assure corrective action.
- Builds, develops, and maintains close customer relationships, proactively addresses customer issues, and continually pursues open communications to strategically expand the business.
- Assures customer satisfaction and provides sufficient details of program performance, risk assessments, and identification of opportunities for improvement.
- Conducts periodic program status review meetings with customers and execution team to monitor program execution and collect program performance feedback, risk assessment inputs, and identification of opportunities for improvement
- Maintain strong customer focus while coordinating and collaborating with stakeholders, vendors and Digital Platform Team in implementation of key projects using effective verbal and written communication.
- Plan and manage out-sourced projects with large components completed by 3rd party vendors.
- Be proactive and exercise initiative in identifying, tracking, and removing impediments to program success. Approach risk identification and mitigation, accordingly, including establishing contingency to ensure corrective action
- Use negotiation skills, influence, and creativity to achieve successful outcomes around scope, schedule, costs/budget, issues/risks, and resources.
- Be a resource to project managers in developing upfront estimates of time and resource utilization through organized discovery with stakeholders, IT resources and vendors.
- Manage the program budget process and coordinate with managers, project managers and vendors to ensure project resources are applied efficiently and effectively.
- Arbitrate and resolve conflict within the program when necessary. Understand appropriate paths and methods for escalation.
- Track and report all inter-dependencies between multiple projects and other Programs
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, computer science, management, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in project/program management with a demonstrated track record of delivering business value (experience in Higher Education required)
- 2+ years of Program Management experience
- 3+ years of experience managing IT projects, including end to end experience for medium to large projects and programs
- PMP/PgMP certification or a demonstrated history of successful project implementation experience.
- Experience in executing corporate-wide initiatives, being able to define project plans, coordinate resources, manage implementation activities, and develop all processes associated with project/program rollout along with ongoing support
- A high degree of competency with project management including, Agile methodology, identifying and managing risks, tracking dependencies and milestones, and communicating overall project status
- Demonstrated experience managing programs over some of the various phases of the project/program life cycle (intake through support and closure)
- Capable of managing cross functional team with competing priorities (IT, Business Units, etc.). Demonstrated experience working in these functions or successfully leading a cross functional team.
- Experience in completing projects/programs within scope, on time, within budget and delivering a quality product to the customer with a high level of satisfaction.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendation, and drive actions
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a changing environment; proactive in seeking out information when necessary
- Experience monitoring and managing vendor performance
- Capable of creating and maintaining constructive and engaging customer relationships.
- Needs to be based in the DC Metro area (hybrid)
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?