Middle School Math Teacher
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
As our ATI Middle School Math Teacher, you will deliver an exceptional learning experience for students. Responsibilities include:
- Deliver and adapt as needed the proprietary curriculum developed by ATI programmatic experts
- Collaborate with curriculum developers by providing regular feedback on the curriculum
- Facilitate students' progression using Altitude Learning Platform, a learning management system specifically designed to promote individualized, student-led learning
- Provide regular, substantive feedback on student work, both in-person and documented in Altitude
- Communicate regularly with families detailing both class and individual student progress
- Serve as a coach for a cohort of students, providing 1:1 support, guidance, and help with goal-setting and social/emotional learning
- Help your colleagues to build a strong, supportive community that embodies the ATI values
- Rapidly innovate and iterate on the school model with ATI's program experts and your school colleagues
Our courses focus on truly understanding the foundations of math. We use a combination of Montessori resources and proprietary curriculum to bring math concepts to life, to enable students to see math in the world around them. This is facilitated both by a historical perspective and by a love and respect for modern progress.
Being a new ATI guide also includes participating in a school-sponsored 20-month adolescent guide preparation course through the Prepared Montessorian Institute leading to a widely-accepted MACTE Montessori Credential. This professional development requirement offers guides the comprehensive theoretical and practical knowledge and skills, as well as mentorship, to become successful practitioners of the Montessori Method with students ages 12-18.About You
The ideal candidate loves math and loves teaching teenagers. We are looking, first and foremost, for someone who deeply believes in adolescents' capacity for learning, growth, and self-development. This is a challenging age! Our guides support students overall as they navigate the difficulties of self-creation in their transition to adulthood. We are looking for educators who want to become part of a tight-knit community, who care deeply about adolescent development, and believe that a good education in math is essential and valuable for a better adult life!
We're looking for someone who is:
- Strongly interested in co-creating a vibrant, loving school community
- Dedicated to contributing to an innovative online curriculum
- Motivated by measurement and assessment of learning
- An experienced (or deeply committed to learning) mentor, advisor, or coach of adolescents, dedicated to helping them explore their passions, learn to manage difficulties and embrace their gifts
- An expert in the study and application of the math and other STEM subjects
- Passionate about developing student problem-solving skills and mindsets and their ability to make connections to the real world
- Deeply motivated to fostering autonomy and individuality of students and willing to personalize instruction and assessment significantly based on student needs
- An excellent communicator in speech and writing
- Highly organized and able to manage resources, responsibilities, and time purposefully
- Committed to the idea of endless improvement personally and professionally
We are open to a range of backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you have experience with or training in Montessori pedagogy, please let us know in your cover letter.About Us
The Academy of Thought and Industry is a Montessori-inspired middle and high school network. Our goal is to empower adolescents to become the authors of their own lives. We have a high-agency and high-accountability model that combines the rigor of a classical education with the individualized approach of a progressive approach. We are looking for guides who love their subject, and love working with teens. Guides who will strive with their students as growth-minded, ambitious, and compassionate partners.
Our unique model includes a low student-to-teacher ratio (1:12 or less) and one-on-one coaching. Each guide also serves as a coach for a cohort of students, helping them grow and thrive. You will work with your coaches to set and achieve both academic and personal goals.
These 5 core values form the basis of our school culture:
- The Pursuit of Knowledge: We pursue knowledge not as an academic exercise, but to improve our judgement and actions in the world.
- The Power of Agency: We believe that human beings, using their reason, judgment, and passion, are capable of leading self-directed lives of profound meaning and worth. We seek to develop and exercise our capacity to act with purpose, integrity, and conviction in pursuit of our aspirations.
- The Love of Work: Purposeful work is central to a life well-lived. In choosing our work, we direct our energies intentionally toward our goals, bring structure and focus to our lives, and reshape our worlds. Through cultivating our capacity for work, as well as our appreciation of the rewards of work well done, we develop a character capable of genuine effort and great achievement.
- The Joy of Community: We recognize the value of deep, honest relationships, and we offer others an authentic self that makes such relationships possible. We enliven and enrich each other through our choice to share norms, practices and expectations. In doing so, we experience the joy of belonging and develop a deep and abiding sense of love and responsibility for the communities we embrace.
- The Courage to Live Wholeheartedly: To fully engage with the world requires a tremendous amount of vulnerability and moral courage. In order to become our best selves, we bravely face our insecurities and have the courage to care deeply about our values.
If you want to join a thriving and growing new school community, help revolutionize education, and bring out the best in your students and yourself, please apply below and include a detailed cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in this role.
Academy of Thought & Industry
AddressSan Francisco, CA
EducationView all jobs at Academy of Thought & Industry