Academy for Young Minds New York, NY
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Academy for Young Minds (AYM) is seeking an experienced Special Education Teacher to join our team and teach in one of our brand new, state-of- the-art classrooms in Long Island City, NY. AYM is a private school for learners on the Autism Spectrum, ages 5-12. This is a full-time, 12-month position.
The Head Teacher will be responsible for the teaching and oversight of his/her own classroom. This individual will supervise all teaching assistants who teach in the classroom. In conjunction with the leadership team, the Head Teacher will develop and implement individualized curricular activities for each student, collect data on programs and progress toward goals, and assess students to inform curriculum and future learning activities.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
· Master’s degree in education required
· NYS Certification in Special Education or Students with Disabilities (Birth to 2nd grade or Grade 1 to 6) required
· Successful experience teaching special education students (preferably using ABA methodology)
· Strong understanding of the needs of students with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and/or other developmental disabilities
· Working knowledge of NYS Common Core Standards
· Curricular experience with Morningside Model of Generative Instruction, RTI, Precision Teaching, Haughton Learning Center Handwriting Program and McGraw-Hill Reading Mastery Signature Edition
· Experience with Direct Instruction and Fluency Training
· Excellent verbal and written communication, and interpersonal skills
· Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
· Computer proficiency (e.g., data base, word processing, etc.)
1. Manage classroom of 6-12 students with IEPs
2. Review IEP goals with all staff
3. Provide appropriate and individualized instruction to all students
4. Supervise Teaching Assistants and Aides
5. Participate in curriculum development
6. Collect data on student’s progress
7. Assess students’ progress to inform continued instruction
8. Lead team meetings for classroom staff
9. Communicate with parents regularly – phone, meetings, newsletters
10. Use Central Reach parent portal
11. Set tone of professionalism in classroom while adhering to the mission, vision and philosophy of AYM.
12. Prep and clean up classroom each day
· Highly competitive compensation, commensurate with experience
· Full benefits available (medical/dental/401(k)/vision/ESOP/tuition reimbursement)
· Paid Time Off
· Pay schedule – Twice a month
· Complimentary Applied Behavior Analysis informing session
· Professional development opportunities
Together, we are dedicated to empowering the lives of all learners to reach their full potential through educational and clinical services.
Academy for Young MindsWhy Work Here?
Highly professional and collaborative environment with competitive compensation and benefits
Academy for Young Minds (AYM) is a state-of-the-art school for learners on the autism spectrum and it was founded by its parent company, TheraCare. TheraCare has been dedicated to setting the standards for excellence for developmental and educational programs since 1991. Together, we are dedicated to empowering the lives of all learners to reach their full potential through educational and clinical services.
AddressNew York, NY