Substation Engineering Supervisor
(Offering a $1,000 Referral Fee for anyone referred that is hired by our client)
Job Number: 200001EB
Primary Location: South Carolina-Fort Mill / Columbia, SC / Raleigh, NC
Provide supervisory and engineering/technical support to a substation electrical engineering and design team for the purpose of delivering safe, cost-effective, and quality engineering and design services. Incumbents will supervise direct reports including engineers and designers, CAD technicians and administrative personnel. This role includes both direct billable client work (project work) and administrative leadership support to the manager or director. The incumbent is expected to lead projects, perform responsible charge engineering duties, manage project schedules along with managing specific engineering and design business revenue and profitability goals. Personnel responsibilities include carrying out such programs as training, performance appraisal, employee recruiting, succession planning and adherence to standards of conduct. Provide technical competency and direction on complex engineering and technical problems in the specific area of expertise for the management of engineering projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide supervisory and engineering/technical leadership to a skilled, qualified, and motivated engineering and design team by:
- Displaying effective leadership skills in motivating, rewarding, and assisting individuals through the use of innovative techniques and effective management systems.
- Ensuring that individuals have the training, tools, personal equipment, work environment, and technical support to optimize their performance and achieve desired results.
- Coaching, training and mentoring an engineering and design team.
- Providing honest and constructive feedback, assistance in setting priorities, and opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Perform project management activities on assigned client projects along with Responsible Charge Engineering duties (i.e. Sealing Designs).
- Ensure that cost and utilization goals are met by effective planning, organizing, scheduling and monitoring of work activities.
- Provide technical leadership to ensure that all specific engineering designs are provided per applicable professional codes and standards by:
- Providing technical direction to project teams on complex multi-disciplined projects.
- Developing and maintaining engineering standards, work practices, and systems.
- Maintaining knowledge of the engineering and technical industry codes, standards, and best practices.
- Developing and maintaining knowledge of the current and future enablers, systems, and applications available in the industry to ensure continuous improvement.
- Manage customer relations and enhance Pike Engineering reputation.
- Administer and ensure adherence to Pike Engineering corporate safety policies.
- Carry out administrative duties in accordance with company policy.
- Assist in recruiting efforts, business development and strategic planning.
Skills, Abilities and Knowledge:
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrated skills in verbal/written communications.
- Demonstrated negotiating and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated supervisory and business skills.
- Demonstrated skills in providing leadership, motivation, vision, and direction.
- High energy level with the ability to work in a fast paced, ambiguous environment.
- Proven success in developing and maintaining customer relationships.
- High commitment to achieving goals and plans
Education, Licensing and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Ability to become registered as a Professional Engineering in multiple states.
- Significant experience at a professional level in electrical power system engineering related to designing utility transmission and distribution systems.
- Work independently.
- Customer Oriented.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and provide leadership to other team members
- Skilled in principles of project management.
- NCEES and registration as a Professional Engineer in multiple states
- Experience in the electric utility industry.
- 8 - 10 years of electrical utility substation design experience (as an employee, contractor, or consultant) with a working knowledge of electrical substation design at voltage of 69kV and higher.
- Technical competency in all aspects of electric utility substation design including general arrangement and layout of the substation equipment; understanding of the functions and application of all components (breakers, transformers, cap banks, reactors, etc.); understanding of foundation design, grounding, lightning and shielding protection, relays and controls; etc.
- Ability to complete a detailed bill of material showing all materials required for the construction of electrical substations.
- Ability to ensure that a complete design package (drawings, bill of materials, conduit lists, construction specifications, etc.) are delivered to the client within budget and on time with a high level of quality.
- Working knowledge of NESC and IEEE.
- Working knowledge and ability to perform:
- Grounding studies.
- Bus calculations.
- Lightning protection studies.
- Substation lighting / illumination studies.