Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Job Function
Responsible for obtaining materials, components, and equipment. Gathers quotations, examines bids, and makes awards. Determines material requirements from engineering and production schedules, and maintains inventory at planned levels. Plans, schedules, and monitors the movement of materials through the production cycle. Evaluates vendor reliability, develops new supply sources where vendors and suppliers are inadequate. Conducts negotiations and concludes contracts with suppliers that are in the best interest of the company. Monitors cost, schedule, and scope of assigned subcontracts to assure best quality at best value. Develops specifications for new contract orders.
Core Job Responsibilities
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
1. Evaluates and selects suppliers based upon assessment of their quality system and capabilities.;
2. Performs initial and ongoing audits of potential and current suppliers based upon ISO9001 guidelines and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Quality System Requirements. Visits suppliers' facilities, writes comprehensive audit reports and ensures completion of corrective action at suppliers' facilities as necessary.;
3. Manages component supply and inventory levels for product line(s), planning and purchasing for material requirements and ensuring flow of materials to the production floor.;
4. Understands and communicates component specifications to suppliers, including the ability to read drawings to determine dimensions, tolerances, and Incoming Quality Control (IQC) points.;
5. Develops and enhances relationships with strategic supplier/partners. Serves as primary contact and fosters positive and mutually beneficial relationship with suppliers.;
6. Coordinates early supplier involvement in product development and purchases the required materials to support product development and product launches.;
7. Actively works and supports the development of new technologies and supplier capabilities.;
8. Ensures that Confidentiality Agreements and necessary contracts are established with suppliers.;
9. Supports product development goals in the components, materials and suppliers area.;
10. Manages the implementation of suppliers (including ensuring the completion of appropriate first articles and validations).;
11. Drives cost savings and quality improvement projects.;
12. At the Principal Level, may serve as Commodity Leader for an assigned area. In this role, will be responsible for creating and implementing a detailed strategy for each supplier and assigned commodity, and will work as a team leader with multiple groups/sites to ensure supplier strategy is understood and is being executed appropriately.
Supervisory / Management Responsibilities
(Supervision Received) Works under minimal supervision. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.;
(Supervision Provided) May provide work direction and guidance to exempt and/or skilled nonexempt levels of employees; may be
asked to evaluate performance of and assist in career development planning for subordinates.
Position Accountability / Scope
(Influence/Leadership) Establishes and cultivates an extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments. Participates in the development of less experienced staff by setting an example, providing guidance, and offering counsel. May lead a project team. Participates in determining goals and objectives for projects. Influences middle management on technical or business solutions. May interact with vendors.;
(Planning/Organization) Plans and organizes non-routine tasks w/approval. Initiates or maintains work schedule. Establishes priorities of work assignments.;
(Decision Making/Impact) Exercises judgment in selecting innovative, practical methods to achieve problem resolution. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious delays and considerable expenditure of
Bachelor degree (preferred) and a minimum of 6+ years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. A good understanding of specified functional area.
Minimum Experience / Training Required
** Strong purchasing and procurement skills
** SAP experience a must
** Medical devices/Pharma experience preferred
(Technical/Business Knowledge (Job Skills)) Solid understanding and application of business concepts, procedures and practices. Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations.;
(Cognitive Skills) Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Has a sound knowledge of a variety of alternatives and their impact on their business unit..
NO RELOCATION ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
OPEN TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES AT A LOWER LEVEL.