Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Job Function
The manager/senior manager will play a pivotal role in helping formulate, execute and sustain an external communications strategy for Abbott that positions it as a leading global healthcare company. This position requires a strategic thinker and creative story teller who has demonstrated the ability to work with top tier media globally and develop compelling storylines that aligns to traditional, digital and social channels. This person must be an excellent writer with a deep understanding of the news business, media trends and the converged media landscape and have a portfolio of media placements driven by him/her that support company reputation across a number of attributes, including quality of management, business strategy and strength, innovation and leading brand. The right candidate will also contribute to the strategy and execution of content generation for a number of the company's social channels and executive leaders.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Position the company as a leading company and investment globally through proactive media relations, social and external communications.
- Identify and create content across multiple channels to highlight Abbott’s leadership and products.
- Cultivate a deep understanding and strong relationship with media and social media influencers with a keen focus on financial and business media.
- Maintain and develop relationships with business and financial news editors and reporters through thoughtful, strategic engagement – especially related to company strength, strategy, innovation and brand.
- Enhance visibility of the company and protect company reputation.
- Prep Abbott leadership before interviews including contributing to key message development and positioning.
- On-site management of media interviews and events.
- A deep understanding and utilization of social media channels and engagement strategies.
- Must be a strong teammate who:
- Operates with principled leadership and sound business ethics, exercising the highest level of integrity.
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset combined with an ability to navigate in a large, complex organization.
- Takes a global view.
- Treats others with respect – listens and cares.
Position Accountability / Scope
- Develops strategy and executes plans to write and produce content (multimedia – digital, social, video, etc.) about Corporate strategy and science/innovation with a keen understanding of the digital and social environment.
- Works extensively with national and international business, as a primary spokesperson in business/financial media.
- Interfaces with various division and corporate constituencies, including government affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical, clinical and senior management.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of corporate businesses and divisional therapeutic areas, industry, competitive environment and stakeholder landscape to provide effective counsel to division management.
- Oversees development of messages, media materials and other communications tools as well as digital and social media.
- Develops issues management plans and oversee execution of plans often acting as company spokesperson.
- Develop strategic communications and competitive positioning for the company, with particular emphasis on competitive environment and marketplace.
- Oversees PR agency management.
Minimum Experience / Training Required
- 8+ years of experience in content development (journalism or multimedia)
- Excellent writer and communicator who can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately.
- Experienced user and creator of social media to drive awareness and engagement.
- Experience in media relations, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation.
- Skilled at building stakeholder trust to enhance business reputation.
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity and a rapid pace of change.
- Demonstrated ability to use communications to drive business results.
- Experience in strategic thinking and ability to develop and implement communications plans.