Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
The Manger Creative Services supports the Sr. Manager Creative Services by helping in the creation of high-quality creative concepts and materials based on campaign/brand strategy and direction. Provides leadership and directs a creative studio of Art Directors, copywriters and graphic designers from creative ideation through production, and ensures brand standards are met across various media outlets.
Work effectively with Account Services, internal partners, outside agencies, and brand partners in the development of advertising campaigns/promotional programs, strategies, and tactics for assigned Abbott Nutrition products. Provide creative solutions and consultation that uphold campaign integrity and that ladder into the brief.
Establish and implement a consistent process for development and production of creative deliverables as assigned by brand partners. Manage assigned creative studio/team to ensure that all internal procedures are adhered to in compliance with internal policies.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Concept, develop, and manage a “best in class” creative product
- Manage and direct creative staff including exempt and contract personnel. Provide leadership, motivation, and mentoring for creative staff. Manage and direct outside resources as needed (specialized agencies, illustrators, photographers, graphic designers, etc)
- Play an active role in shaping new opportunities for the creative group – be it expanding a current client relationship or forging new ones
- Provide input on creative briefs to ensure key messages and support points are clear and executable
- Partner with Account Services and Strategy to assure relevant information is gathered and team is aligned to the brief prior to or during kick-off meeting and throughout the creative process
- Understand clients’ vision and translate goals and objectives into compelling creative solutions
- Help manage creative process and determine the best approach to execute each assignment
- Partner with Account Services to deliver feedback to agency partners
- Participate and drive brainstorming sessions for communications tactics with key clients
- Take lead in presenting creative strategy, concepts, or WIP to our partners and clients
- Apply brand identity systems, typography, photography, color, and other design elements appropriately to create innovative visual solutions that meet business and user needs
- Build credibility and trust with cross-functional partners in order to drive results
- Contribute to the development of the Abbott Creative Services culture and quality standards
- Use artistic sensibility and strategic direction to ensure superior creative output
- Provide quality control on completed projects to ensure design quality and production accuracy
- Educate other team members, not exclusive to the creative staff, through project development and performance management
Supervisory / Management Responsibilities:
- Position directly supervises a creative studio of 6-12 contractors or FTE and is responsible for securing the appropriate talent to operate the agency and meet business objectives
- Direct the efforts of the creative staff and ensure quality output. Extensive reevaluation of how some areas should be handled in the future (staffing, funding, procedures) will be another major responsibility
- Supports in hiring the appropriate talent to meet creative demand and business objectives
- Provide on-boarding, coaching, mentoring, and effective oversight of the team. Responsible for deploying personnel effectively to meet changing needs of the division and manage through peak and lull periods, as well as evolving commercial organizations, sales force structure, and divisional growth.
- Provide assessment/performance feedback to direct reports
- Develop comprehensive training plan and career path for staff including succession plan for direct reports
Bachelor’s Degree: Communication, Graphics Arts, Fine Arts, Journalism, or Advertising
Must have thorough knowledge and understanding of corporate branding principles and the proven ability to assimilate direction from clients to create innovative tactical concepts including print materials, social, website, emails, and brand campaigns. Must have the proven track record and ability to provide cutting-edge creative direction and team management.
8-10 years: Creative thought leader with in-house, advertising, or interactive agency
2-5 years: Creative management
12+ years: Total combined minimum years of experience in advertising and creative
- Exceptional graphic design/copywriting, art direction, creative direction skills
- Ability to manage, direct, and motivate creative staff
- Creativity to develop ideas that translate into successful advertising and communications programs
- Expertise in graphic design software and computer technology
- Exceptional time management skills with capability to adapt to a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Knowledge of health care marketing, markets, and products
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and written communication
- Excellent presentation skills to peers, clients, and senior/middle management
- Ability to work with a variety of clients, products, and departments
Accountability / Scope / Budget:
- Responsible for delivering creative for the internal agency (>$11 million in saving) supporting Abbott Nutrition brands and other divisions of Abbott
- Oversee contract staff and understand billing procedures for outsourcing and all applicable regulations, negotiate appropriate/competitive rates, and secure top-level talent based on client needs
- Adhere to all corporate and divisional financial and compliance policies, and ensure that all necessary documentation is maintained