Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
This position may be filled at a lower level depending on experience.
The Global Licensing Manager will have responsibility for leading the negotiations of IP based transactions for Abbott Diagnostics. Transactions span across a variety of industries and sectors including multi-national corporations, start-ups, universities, government agencies and individuals with a broad range of agreements including but not limited to licenses, option, co-development agreements and others. The responsibilities also include business development activities and supports assessment of new technology opportunities.
The incumbent will also contribute to the development of technology, intellectual property & licensing strategies for multiple areas of interest for Abbott Diagnostics.
The incumbent will be either leading or supporting a cross-functional team including representatives from the research & development, finance and legal departments. The role requires frequent presentations to senior management within Abbott.
The role is intended for a creative negotiator and who thinks strategically and has a very strong background in the negotiation of intellectual property based transactions. The successful applicant should have a solid understanding and knowledge of the diagnostics industry (although not required). This role requires a person with an analytical, independent, results and detail oriented working style who is comfortable aligning within a highly matrixed organization. University technology transfer experience is highly desirable.
The Licensing Manager ensures processes are aligned to and remain compliant with policies and procedures that govern daily activities associated with implementation and management of contracts, including associated deliverables, obligations, and/or royalty payments. The role reports to the Sr. Director, New Technologies, Licensing and Intellectual Property.
- Leads the preparation, structuring, negotiation and execution of agreements with intellectual property, data access and scientific deliverables as the core concept.
- Establishes and maintains the necessary infrastructure to efficiently ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Manages the Royalty Portfolio of approx. $30MM- $60MM depending upon sales volumes.
- Oversees the relationships with licensors and serve as the interface to the royalty portfolio payment process within Division Finance.
- The incumbent will be heavily involved with the stage gate review processes and will understanding the licensing inputs required for cross functional team development timeline related to all funded Division projects (assay or instrument).
- Independently navigates complex agreements (cross licenses, in-licenses, infringement, and/or settlements) without day-to-day manager oversight.
- Prepares and presents reports and presentations on potential deals designed for the Division Staff level.
- Reviews division royalty payments routinely and improves the overall process to ensure accuracy, timely payment and compliance with license obligations.
- Recruits, train and develops direct reports.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Manages the development of department processes, policies and procedures that ensure compliance with ﬁnancial and computer system audit standards, incorporates business performance needs, and maintains process ﬂow efﬁciency.
- Builds effective networks with cross-functional areas to facilitate cooperation on business processes, policies and procedures. The incumbent is involved with the Stage Gate documentation review process for the department.
- Provides a support function related to cross licenses, in-licenses, infringement settlements, etc.
- Manages the process for comprehending existing agreement including understanding and monitoring the contractual milestone commitments to ensure all deliverables are met, management of financial obligations associated with these agreements, including communicating status with the third party and delivering the outcomes to ADD management.
- Manages the royalty portfolio which may have a direct impact on the business. The position will focus on accuracy and to ensure all beneficial opportunities are explored related to licensing and royalty expenses.
B.S. in life sciences required. MS or PhD degree preferably in a life sciences / technical field. JD is preferred. Previous experience with the application of such technical skills within a business unit/company or academic technology transfer office is highly desirable. Negotiation expertise required. Knowledge of the diagnostic and life science area preferred. Experience in intellectual property based transactions and principles required.