Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Structural Heart Business Mission: why we exist
Our business purpose is to restore health and improve quality of life through the design and provision of device and management solutions for the treatment of structural heart disease.
We aim to lead the markets we serve by requiring the solutions we offer customers provide an improved benefit/risk profile as compared to existing standards of care; a performance threshold that by definition, guides and ensures the productive output of our engineering, business development, and clinical research efforts result in outcomes that advance the standard of care.
The job purpose and scope of the Associate Director, Field Clinical Affairs is to provide leadership for field clinical procedure strategy for Abbott Structural Heart clinical trials. This position requires intimate knowledge of Structural Heart therapies, indications and instructions for use, and clinical protocols and processes. This position will have close interactions with internal stakeholders (clinical leadership, clinical operations, training, R&D and medical affairs), and with external stakeholders (key opinion leaders, investigators and site coordinators). This role will have oversight of procedure specialists who will cover all regions in the US.
Description of Job Scope
This position is responsible for the following:
- Oversight of Structural Heart field clinical procedure specialist organization, including establishing criteria for procedure specialist proficiency
- Assisting in developing training and educational plan for procedure specialists
- Setting up processes and procedures to assess and continuously monitor procedure specialist proficiency
- Developing systems and procedures to maintain and track procedural outcomes and metrics
- Developing best practices to continuously ensure excellent procedural outcomes
- Coordinating case management logistics
- Product and procedure training
- Screening patients to ensure appropriateness for clinical study
- Product testing
- Managing functional budgets
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Accountability Scope and Budget
This position is accountable for the hiring and development of procedure specialists, and is ultimately accountable for ensuring excellent procedural outcomes in Structural Heart clinical trials. This position will have functional budget oversight as well as budget oversight for procedure specialist training, education and travel for case support.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant clinical experience with in-depth knowledge of interventional cardiology and/or Structural Heart.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Biological Sciences, a related degree or equivalent.
Key attributes considered necessary for success
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated management skill
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Advanced verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization. Exceptional presentation and influence skills.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 50%.