At AW North Carolina (AWNC), the phrase "Quality People, Quality Products" isn't just a slogan. Our commitment to quality extends not only to our products, but also to our team members, the community and the environment.
AWNC is a $1.1billion Tier 1 automotive manufacturer of automatic transmissions and components for Toyota Motor Company. AWNC's corporate office and primary manufacturing facility (1 million sq. ft.) is located in Durham, NC, and home to more than 2000 Team Members dedicated to quality supremacy. At AWNC, we are proud of what we do because we are proud of our products, our team members, our customers, and our community.
The Safety Engineer is responsible for handling and overseeing all aspects of safety activities, processes and systems for a complex manufacturing facility, will ensure the company is in legal compliance with local, state, and federal occupational health and safety standards while developing programs and initiatives to promote improvements within the facility. This is a senior level professional staff position and does not have a line management function.
- Develop Occupational Health and Safety programs and systems, in partnership with plant management and other EHS Team Members, which impact the overall safety of all AWNC Team Members.
- Monitor, oversee, and ensure compliance with OSHA regulations, and other federal, state and local and company requirements. Maintain effective understanding of changes to regulations and assist with ensuring updates to company personnel, policies and systems.
- Develop a high-level understanding of workplace processes and equipment to best discern opportunities for improvement and the elimination of unsafe conditions
- Educate all levels of staff, including leadership, on best practices and proper / safe production equipment usage
- Survey equipment and facilities, identify potentially unsafe conditions and lead remedial processes.
- Perform, assist with accident investigations to clearly understand root cause and necessary countermeasure activities. Support tracking and communication of countermeasure activity.
- Perform various safety inspections and audits to ensure adherence to regulations, policies, procedures and systems.
- Deliver formal presentations and communicate key activities on a daily basis to management and offer potential solutions as appropriate.
- Maintain the hearing conservation program.
- Lead ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System development, implementation, documentation, maintenance and auditing and certification to improve and sustain AWNC occupational health and safety performance.
- Organize, maintain, and ensure all Safety and Occupational Health compliance records are kept in accordance with corporate specifications and regulatory requirements.
- Act as the AWNC subject matter expert regarding workplace occupational health and safety issues.
- Build effective relationships on the manufacturing floor, at all levels, necessary to influence changes that affect manufacturing operations.
- Develop and oversee any and all FSR/CER activities which involve or require Occupational Health, Safety and Industrial Hygiene procedures, programs, permits, licenses, approvals, etc. Including engineering/project management and coordinating such activities
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in industrial / occupational safety, industrial hygiene, engineering or related technical discipline. Equivalent experience will be considered
- CSP (Certified Safety Professional) credential is a great plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of practical experience in a manufacturing environment particularly in the safety engineering role or the field of Environmental, Health and Safety.
- Inspection experience with machine guarding, crane operations, health programs, accident investigations, LOTO, Haz Com, etc.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule when required including weekend.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret domestic and international regulatory standards
- Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong commitment to continual improvement.
- Excellent leadership ability and experience leading training, workshops and information sessions.
- Well organized and possess the ability to handle numerous tasks while being able to work with a variety of people with varying backgrounds and job functions.
- Solid working knowledge and demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office and other computer-based applications (e.g., MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Prior experience achieving measurable and sustainable results in a lean manufacturing environment
Team Member Benefits
AWNC offers a highly competitive benefit package that includes: Major Medical Insurance Options, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Short/Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Plan, Matching 401k Plan, Paid Holidays/Vacation.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
AW North Carolina Inc.