The objective of a Mental Health Skill Building (MHSB) support worker is to assist clients with goal directed training to enable individuals to achieve and maintain community stability and independence in the most appropriate, least restrictive environment. MHSB Support Workers provide goal directed training in the following areas in accordance with the person-centered treatment plan of the client served: functional skills and appropriate behavior related to the individual’s health and safety; instrumental activities of daily living, and use of community resources; assistance with medication management; and monitoring health, nutrition, and physical condition.
Immediate Supervisor: Case Manager
- Work with client with adults with mental health and co-occurring disorders to provide education, training and assistance with meeting skill building needs.
- Conduct education and training sessions with adults with mental health and co-occurring disorders in a variety of setting (home/community) using various supportive training materials.
- Collaborate with other mental health and community resources to assist the client with meeting basic needs or connecting with needed supports and resources.
- Build rapport and assess needs of the client and provide insight into the skills continued independence and success in the community.
- Ongoing assessment of treatment needs.
- Assist in the development and ongoing monitoring and implementation of Individual Service Plan.
- Work with clients to foster the development of new improved daily living skills, coping skills, problem solving skills, and communication skills.
- Educate the client on existing community resources and supports as well as act as an advocate in connecting the client to these services.
- Maintain up-to-date client records, and prepare required/necessary reports in a timely and accurate manner such as daily progress notes, monthly reports, quarterly reports, care coordination logs, discharge summaries etc.
- Establish a good working relationship with other public and private agencies/services and interface collaboratively with them
- Ability and skills to maintain required confidentiality regarding client case materials in compliance with the Commonwealth of Virginia Human Rights Code 2007 and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Other duties as assigned.
A person in the human services field who is trained and experienced in providing psychiatric or mental health services to individuals who have a mental illness; including: a doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed in Virginia; a doctor of medicine or osteopathy, specializing in psychiatry and licensed in Virginia; an individual with a master's degree in psychology from an accredited college or university with at least one year of clinical experience; a social worker; an individual with at least a bachelor's degree in human services or related field (social work, psychology, psychiatric rehabilitation, sociology, counseling, vocational rehabilitation, human services counseling or other degree deemed equivalent to those described) from an accredited college and with at least one year of clinical experience providing direct services to individuals with a diagnosis of mental illness; a person with at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college in an unrelated field that includes at least 15 semester credits (or equivalent) in a human services field and who has at least three years of clinical experience; a Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Provider (CPRP) registered with the United States Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (USPRA); a registered nurse licensed in Virginia with at least one year of clinical experience; any other licensed mental health professional.
- Participate in individual and team supervision as scheduled
- Staff must be trained certified in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid and Crisis De-scalation techniques.
- Employee must be certified as being tuberculosis free
- Employee must clear criminal background and CPS registry checks
Mental Health Skill Building Specialists are required to use their personal vehicles for sessions and for engaging in community activities. Therefore, at the time of hire Mental Health Skill Building Support Worker must provide proof of driver’s license and insurance. Should a Mental Health Skill Building Support Worker receive a moving traffic violation at anytime after employment the Mental Health Skill Building Support Worker must notify the Case Manager about the incident the next business day after receiving the violation. Further, Mental Health Skill Building Support Worker will be taken off the schedule in the event they have any lapse in automobile insurance coverage.
MUST BE ABLE TO WORK DAYTIME MONDAY - FRIDAY!!
We offer monthly gas reimbursements and quarterly bonuses for our employees.
Link to this job
Why Work Here?
Room for growth, amazing support, great benefits.