AQHA is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Senior Accountant. This positions works our of the international headquarters located in Amarillo, TX. AQHA will not be reimbursing any relocation cost.
Performs complex professional level accounting and finance duties, including budgeting, revenue administration, expense administration, general ledger account and balance sheet account reconciliations, expense and revenue allocations, assisting with cash and short-term investments and cash projections, financial reporting, external audit preparation and coordination, month end close, year-end close, tax filings, compliance, internal controls and receivables. Performs complex financial analysis for various programs and performs a variety of professional accounting functions relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Oversees and participates in professional accounting activities, including general ledger reconciliation, financial reporting, budgeting, auditing; month end close; year-end close; and tax filings.
- Oversees and participates in professional financial planning activities, including budgeting and financial planning as well as projecting operating cash needs and overseeing short-term investment portfolios.
- Assists in the oversight of revenue administration to ensure cash receipts and receivable payments are timely posted and recorded on the general ledger.
- Assists in the oversight of expense administration to ensure the use of funds is appropriate based upon policy, to include accounts payable, travel, payroll, etc.
- Assists in maintaining a cost and revenue allocation system by making entries to record full costs
- Reviews and analyzes various records and reports; responds to inquiries and provides exceptional customer service to those within and outside the department.
- Reviews ledgers, registers, journals, logs, and related financial record keeping documents; ensures compliance with established accounting standards, practices, and procedures; makes corrections and adjustments; and balances accounts, departments, and business units.
- Oversees a variety of accounts and general ledgers; and prepares monthly fiscal reports and special reports relating to the progress in assigned account areas.
- Reviews financial system reports for revenues and expenses and makes corrections and adjustments.
- Monitors and balances various accounts, including verifying availability of funds and classification of expenses; researches and analyzes transactions to resolve problems; and controls and reconciles modified accrual and accrual ledgers.
- Reconciles subsystems data to official general ledger; researches out of balance and other identified variances; and prepares recommendations to correct any issues.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly financial statements; prepared by client schedules for the annual audit; and the annual financial report.
- Provides assistance to external auditors in support of the annual and special audits; and prepares response to audit findings and resolutions.
- Serves as the liaison with departments and operating units of the organization; provides assistance to staff in matters relating to financial accounting and budgeting.
- Attends and participates in a variety of group meetings and seminars.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in the attendance policies and procedures; ensures all behaviors comply with the Employee Handbook.
- Prepare journal entries on a reoccurring basis and reconciliation of the income statements and balance sheets on both a modified accrual and accrual basis.
- Performs year-end procedures including audit, tax, and consolidation work papers.
- Verify various state Sales and Use Tax Returns, Canadian Goods and Services Tax Returns, and reimbursement and year-end reports for USLGE – FAS.
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards.
- Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology, including ensuring internal controls are developed and maintained to prevent the instance of fraud.
- Ensures effective processes and procedures are in place to progressively manage the finances of the assigned entity, to include such items as the billing and collection of receivables, off-site financial transactions, banking relationships, and treasury services.
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirements.
- Confer with organization officials, or staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, or resolve problems.
- Analyze and evaluate the performance of programs or events to ensure they are meeting objectives or to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- Direct, plan, or implement policies, objectives, or activities to ensure continuing operations, to maximize returns on investments, or to increase productivity.
- Review reports submitted to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
- Prepare or present reports concerning activities, expenses, budgets, or other items affecting business or program services.
- Implement corrective action plans to solve program or departmental problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required.
- Operations, services and activities of an accounting and financial reporting program.
- Principles and practices of general and non-profit accounting and auditing.
- Principles and practices, rules and regulations for grant administration and financial reporting.
- Accrual and Modified Accrual accounting standards.
- Bookkeeping and recordkeeping procedures.
- Auditing principles, practices, rules and regulations.
- Modern and complex principles and practices of accounting.
- Specialized computer systems used in financial reporting and general accounting.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
IT / Technical Knowledge:
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Microsoft GP
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field
- Three or more years of increasingly responsible accounting experience
Why Work Here?
Family atmosphere, great co-workers and good benefits.