Librarian/Archivist (Silver Spring, MD)
AMTIS Silver Spring, MD
- Expired: November 22, 2020. Applications are no longer accepted.
Responsible for providing library and archives services for all National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) staff.
AMTIS, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BlackFish Federal. This position is in support of a contract on which we are bidding with NOAA. Any offers will be contingent on contract award.
- Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS) from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association (ALA)
- 2 - 3 years of equivalent full-time experience as a professional librarian
- Possess background in archival maintenance
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Perform complete program of library and archives activities to include:
- Support receiving, cataloging, evaluation, consolidation, disposition, metadata development, maintenance, shelving, and management of the National Center for Environmental Information's (NCEI) physical archive holdings, including but not limited to paper documents, magnetic tapes and various other digital media, fiche, film and other physical media
- In the preparation of transferring of the records to the appropriate records retention center review, separate and inventory contents of records and non-records containers maintained by NCEI at various facilities; create or update NCEI and such other standards-compliant catalog metadata as NOAA Central Library and/or WorldCat; coordinate with NOAA Central Library to ensure that publications are annotated with appropriate information to link publications to archival holdings; confirm that analog documentation matches digital archival contents prior to transferring or disposing of analog documentation
- Utilize/maintain NCEI-supplied databases and specialized systems, as well as common office automation and other software tools. Much of the work will be technical, requiring knowledge of library and data science best practices, standards-based metadata, and an ability to develop effective workflow, tracking and reporting processes
- Due to the nature of the material, the position will occasionally require lifting boxes of media, some of which may weigh more than 40 pounds
- Ensure the physical safety and security of archive records during and following any emergency situation, such as a water leak or other emergency that threatens the security and integrity of the physical archives and compliance with any established notification protocol
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment
This document is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all job-related activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Due to the nature of the industry, job tasks may be changed as necessary to meet the needs of the customer.
AMTIS Inc. is an equal opportunity employer providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.