The Laboratory Manager responsible for overseeing the laboratory and quality assurance operations within our grow facility ensuring that quality procedures are implemented. The Laboratory Manager will also be instrumental in increasing production and refining the process through Lean Procedures.
The Laboratory Manager must have a clear understanding of the company’s product and scientific procedures to provide effective direction of policies and procedures in order to make sure they are well understood and implemented by employees. The Laboratory Manager will also possess excellent leadership skills.
Reports to: Chief Cultivation Officer
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Design and operation of lab procedures for the purposes of optimizing production, costs, yield and operational efficiency while reducing risk and increasing reliability and resiliency of the manufacturing system
- Responsible for managing activities of the extraction department including planning, scheduling, organizing, assigning and coordinating the activities and resources of the department.
- Directly manages the production work force, including hiring, training, disciplinary actions, terminations, labor planning, and workforce organization.
- Develops, maintains, and implements standard operating procedures for all products and techniques developed.
- Develops and maintains accurate records and prepares reports.
- Ensures all standards for processing procedures and laboratory protocols are followed:
- Compliance with Health Department Regulations
- Assuring compliance with local, state, and federal billing or licensing requirements
- Quality control methods are adhered to throughout entire process
- Laboratory standards are documented and followed
- Experiments/manufacturing methods are documented for future reference
- Inventory oversight and management
- Use of laboratory experience and knowledge to determine all necessary equipment required for manufacturing
- Follow "Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)" as they are implemented
- Manages and maintains to the highest level the health, sanitation, and safety regulations pertaining to the handling and storage of all cannabis products.
- Evaluates new equipment/processes for extraction as well as upgrades/changes to existing equipment and procedures.
- Collaborates with other managers and team members resource planning and coordination.
- Attention to detail and time management skills to work on multiple projects at once.
- Maintain technical knowledge through self-assigned research utilizing industry publications, establishing personal networks and researching state-of-the-art practices.
- Other duties as assigned by the General Manager
- Master’s degree in chemical or biochemical engineering, or relevant field, preferred
- Relevant experience includes hemp processing, oil & gas processing, or food processing.
- Knowledge and experience in the cannabis space manufacturing distillate, isolate, and large scale crude extractions, as well as experience with ethanol at a range of temperatures as well as CO2 subcritical/supercritical along. with the presence of co-solvents
- Understands the equipment and both how and why it works, and how it can be improved.
- Understands and is able to mitigate issues that arise when scaling.
- Knowledge of Food Safety (HACCP principals, cGMPs, SOPs and SSOPs, Pest Control, Allergen Control & Recall programs).
- Solid knowledge of Laboratory Procedures.
- Has experience, however limited, with analytical chemistry equipment for the quantification of cannabinoids, particularly THCA/THC and CBDA/CBD.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 10 years (Preferred)
- supervisory: 10 years (Preferred)
- Master's (Preferred)
· Ability to pass an extensive background check.