AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company Birmingham, AL
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Founded in 1905 in Birmingham, Alabama, AMERICAN is a manufacturer of fire hydrants, valves, ductile iron pipe and spiral-welded steel pipe for the waterworks industry and high-frequency-welded steel pipe for the oil and natural gas industries. AMERICAN's diversified product line also includes fire pumps, structural casing and piling, castings for large machinery, and specialty rubber products. For more than a century, AMERICAN has been committed to doing things The Right Way exceeding customer expectations, being a good neighbor in our communities, and supporting our employees.
As the Plant Controller you will be managing, coordinating, and directing all efforts that are needed to record entries that affect the assets, liabilities, income, expense, and capital accounts. You will be responsible for profit and loss and balance sheet statements, plus sales accounting, payroll, pension payroll, and all other financial statements needed to provide management and other areas of the Company with effective working tools so that they might make intelligent and productive decisions regarding the successful future of AMERICAN. You will also coordinate and direct activities to ensure the timely and accurate implementation and execution of a set of procedures which will determine the cost of products, to include maintenance of the various elements of standard cost within our ERP system, and an understanding and periodic reports on variances from standards.
- Oversees the preparation of financial statements and filings at the entity level in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Conducts analyses of the organizations' finances and prepares reports to facilitate decision making.
- Develops internal controls and oversees audits of policies and procedures meant to preserve the organizations' assets.
- Assists in budgeting and cash management activities.
- Manages personnel responsible for processing and auditing the accounts receivable and accounts payable efforts to make sure all monies are properly handled.
- Supervises and directs the activities for the cost accounting functions to ensure the accuracy of cost accounting methods and cost reports distributed to various levels of management.
- Manages the monthly financial closing process. Maintains check off list that assures the timely coordination of our monthly closing process with other departments and the Company's subsidiaries.
- Assembles data that allows us to prepare a monthly sales and profit report by product line. Supplies figures and reports for the Quarterly "Bonus" calculation.
- Prepares sales reports that present tons and dollars sold plus profits by Sales offices.
- Assists in coordinating the daily work effort so that all data is recorded in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Maintains a constant review of Accounting Department performance and systems so as to have a continuing input into improving methods and performance. Analyzes current systems and implements changes needed to improve accuracy and the adoption of new requirements.
- Manages personnel in the General and Cost Accounting Departments. Selects and trains subordinates for more responsibilities within the department.
- Designs and implements cost systems and changes within cost of manufacturing for the integration of new products or procedures into present and future cost systems.
- Verifies and approves all journal voucher entries and cost reports prepared in the department.
- Maintains inventory records and calculates monthly cost of ferrous metal to determine monthly cost of iron that is to be charged to products.
- Manages the monthly financial closing process related to cost accounting and coordinates these activities with departments inside and outside the Finance Division.
- Coordinates and directs activities to ensure the timely and accurate implementation and execution of a set of procedures which will determine the cost of products, to include maintenance of the various elements of standard cost within our ERP system, and an understanding illustrated by periodic reports on variances from standards.
- Keeps work area clean and orderly. Knows safety rules that apply to the safety of others and to personal safety. Reports malfunction of equipment to proper authority. Performs other work as instructed by supervision.
- Manages Personnel and makes decisions in a manner consistent with the Company's Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Policy and Supervisory Training Policy.
- 401(k) Plan
- Profit Sharing Bonus Plan
- Eagan Center for Wellness
- Medical, Dental and Supplemental Vision
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Six or more years of accounting experience at a professional level job such as accountant, auditor, or assistant accounting manager.
- Significant leadership experience in a senior level Cost Accounting function for a manufacturing plant.
- Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) or Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.) designation.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamental doctrines, theories, principles, and terminology of accounting and the methods and practices used by the accounting profession in recording, classifying, examining, and analyzing data and records produced and used for financial transactions.
- Ability to assume responsibility for assigning and coordinating the work activities of employees under his/her supervision.
- Must be able to assume responsibility for the accuracy and timeliness (quality and quantity) of the work of personnel under his/her supervision.
- Must be able to obtain a thorough understanding of the policies and procedures necessary to accomplish the work in his/her area of accounting responsibility and relay that knowledge to employees under his/her supervision.
- Must have the ability to analyze situations and problems and determine alternative solutions to issues presented in the Accounting Department and company-wide.
- Must possess initiative, good judgment and tact in order to be able to work with a wide variety of people in multiple departments in order to arrive at acceptable solutions to problems and to implement solutions.
- Must be able to work extra hours weekdays and/or weekends as required to fulfill job duties.
- Ability to research and learn new accounting pronouncements and implications to AMERICAN as well as new activities at AMERICAN and how to record transactions in accordance with the requirements.
- Must be able to communicate well and work well with others under difficult and often stressful circumstances.
- Must exhibit sufficient ability to mine data for analytical purposes and facilitate smooth operation of the accounting department.
- Exhibit advanced computer skills using word processing, spreadsheet, and other software such as Word, Excel, and etc.
- Over twelve years of accounting experience at a professional level job such as accountant or auditor.
- Experience in supervising employees working in the accounting field.
- Attainment of a post graduate degree in business, accounting or finance.
- Exhibit a thorough working knowledge of the manufacturing processes and products used at AMERICAN, or similar processes and products.
AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company