Windows Application Engineer
Windows Application Engineer (remote)
Contract to Hire Permanent
Per Govt Contract Federal background Check Required
Work Authorization: Greencard Holder or U.S. Citizenship Required
C2C NOT Accepted. W2 Employment Only
Skills: Apache HTTP Server, Certificate Management, Internet Information Server (IIS) Administration, Microsoft Application Security, NIST 800-53
Experience: 5 + years of related experience and Bachelor’s Degree and on related Certifications
As a Windows Application Engineer, you will work closely with other innovative and savvy people to support and deploy scientific and business applications and expand application hosting capabilities with new tools and technologies. You’ll help automate and streamline our operations and processes, and further the adoption of DevOps best practices. We’ll want your opinion on operational processes, automated deployments, technology and tools, and more. A focus on always-up, always-available applications is a plus.
After hours and weekend work may occasionally be required for pre-planned maintenance or for troubleshooting service-impacting outages.
In this role, a typical day will include the following:
- Configuring and supporting day-to-day application management tasks, such as troubleshooting issues, deploying changes, installing and configuring new custom and third-party applications, remediating application security vulnerabilities, and optimizing performance settings.
- Monitoring the health of applications and responding to alerts, such as service down, failed backup, slow response time, or full file systems.
- Working closely with application owners and software engineers to identify requirements, plan, and implement projects, such as installing new custom applications with web services, database components, data hosting, and load balancing.
- Automating day-to-day processes and creating self-service capabilities to empower software developers and application owners to perform routine maintenance tasks such as renewing TLS certificates, changing service account passwords, and rebooting application servers.
- Researching and recommending innovative approaches for application hosting to modernize our customers hosting environment and speed up time to deliver.
- Documenting day-to-day administrative processes and configuration information about our customers applications.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- BA/BS or equivalent and five years related experience
- Experience managing and configuring Windows applications using F5 BigIP application delivery services such as load balancing, advanced web application firewalls (AWAF), and access policy manager (APM)
- Experience developing and implementing continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines to deploy infrastructure and applications using tools such as Jenkins, Azure Devops, or Github Actions
- Experience creating, applying and troubleshooting TLS or SSL certificates for web servers, such as IIS, Tomcat, Apache, or nginx
- Experience with access and authentication technologies, such as LDAP, SimpleSAML, or Kerberos
- Experience designing and implementing technologies following NIST standards, such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291
- Strong scripting experience with Powershell, Python, Bash, Java, or Ruby
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements
- Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of DevOps
- Ability to get and maintain a Public Trust security clearance level
- Experience with infrastructure as code and automation/configuration management using either Terraform and AWS Cloud Formation or Chef, Puppet, and Ansible to define infrastructure standards and deploy services
- Experience with commonly used services, such as AWS EC2, S3, Route 53, RDS, and IAM
- Experience breaking down monolithic applications into microservices and Docker containers
- Experience installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting applications on MS IIS v7.5, v8.5 and v10
- Experience managing and configuring content management systems, such as Moodle or Drupal 7.x & 8.x, and data visualization platforms, such as Tableau, or commercial software to support scientific research such as FreezerPro or REES Centron Presidio
ALTA IT ServicesRockville, MD
WebsiteView All ALTA IT Services Jobs
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.