DevOps (Linux) Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Rockville, MD 20852 (Near Twinbrook Metro Stop)
Contract to Hire Permanent
Citizen/Clearance: Per Federal Govt Sector U.S Citizenship or Greencard/ EAD Required
Shift/Telecommute: Due to COVID-19 Social Distancing the candidate can telework. If we return to the office the candidate must be available to work on site 2-3 days per week
All candidates must be able to pass a drug screen and criminal state/federal background check prior to starting
W2 EMPLOYMENT ONLY (C2C NOT ACCEPTED)
We are seeking a DevOps (Linux) Site Reliability Engineer to join our team to support the NIH in Rockville, MD. As a DevOps (Linux) Site Reliability Engineer, you will collaborate with product owners to design, deploy, and host business and scientific products both on-prem and in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
You will work closely with three other innovative and savvy people to engineer and expand hosting solutions with new tools and technologies, targeting our clients Linux applications. You'll help automate and streamline our operations and processes, and further the adoption of DevOps best practices. We'll want your opinion on operational processes, security guardrails, deployment checklists, and more.
To be successful in this role, you will like being a part of a team and be capable of teaching others and explaining the "why” behind complicated technical decisions.
Due to COVID-19, the NIH team is currently working remotely. Once normal operations resume, you will need to be able to commute to Rockville, MD.
In this role, a typical day will include:
- Collaborating with software developers to design solutions for hosting and maintaining custom business and scientific applications both on-prem in our state-of-the-art compute facility and in our custom PaaS in AWS. You'll also engineer solutions for hosting scientific COTS products such as Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Breaking down monolithic applications hosted on-prem into a microservice architecture hosted in containers or serverless workloads. This is part of an effort to refactor applications and shift hosting from on-prem to the AWS cloud.
- When CI/CD deployment pipelines fail and monitoring systems indicate performance degradation, you'll troubleshoot these issues, working closely with product owners until the problem is resolved.
- Contributing to on-going efforts to develop standardized and compliant infrastructure services for self-service consumption such as Docker Images, RDS Aurora, and Email using AWS Simple Email Service (SES).
- Joining a morning stand-up or team meeting to report your accomplishments, plans for the day, and any roadblocks you encountered. Your team will do the same, giving you an opportunity to understand and contribute to other ongoing initiatives.
- Researching and presenting new ideas to your colleagues and leadership to further our digital transformation and contribute to our commitment to continuously improve the enterprise hosting services.
- BA/BS or equivalent and eight years related experience or a MS and six years experience
- Expert knowledge with Linux/Unix variants, especially RedHat/RHEL and its derivatives, including best practices for deploying applications.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and automation/configuration management using either Cloud Formation or Terraform to define infrastructure standards for cloud services.
- Ability to use a wide variety of technologies to host container services and registries, continuous deployment and continuous integration services, code repositories, and security vulnerability identification to support our on-prem Linux environment and cloud infrastructure. Example technologies include AWS ECS, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, GoCD, AWS ECR, Artifactory, Twistlock, and Netsparker.
- Good understanding of programming languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, and/or Ruby.
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements in cloud infrastructure.
- Must be able to obtain a NIH Public Trust
HIGHLY DESIRED EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of three years experience with AWS services. Examples include commonly used services such as EC2, S3, Route 53, and RDS, as well as more niche services, such as Elastic Beanstalk, Cloud Front, and Guard Duty.
- Experience breaking down monolithic applications into microservices and hosting them in Docker containers.
ALTA IT ServicesALTA is a highly successful, rapidly growing IT staffing firm with a diverse client base. We were ranked the largest staffing firm in the Washington Business Journal. Our clients have been with us for many years due to the quality of our staff and the level of service received. We are looking to expand our team with people that can carry on our tradition of excellence.