Inventory Planner / Purchasing Specialist
Reports to: SVP of Inventory Management
A growing toy company seeks a mid-level planner/purchaser to join our fun and creative team. We’re opening a new headquarters in Petaluma and need a few key leaders to help us execute our expansion strategy. If you're passionate about driving business results and have retail/wholesale inventory planning and purchasing experience, this could be the perfect position for you.
This is a highly visible supply chain role that will oversee the forecasting and inventory process for select categories. It's a hands-on position responsible for developing and executing inventory strategies and demand planning that will enable the company to achieve its sales and service objectives. A proactive and collaborative approach with all stakeholders in the supply chain - including vendors, sales, marketing, and customer support teams, is critical to success in this role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and generate weekly and monthly demand/forecast analyses. Continuously improve forecasting techniques and methods to ensure accuracy and respond to stakeholder needs.
• Generate purchase orders for select import items; provide demand planning forecasts to facilitate domestic production.
• Facilitate problem-solving and vendor communication to ensure on-time delivery of all purchase orders. Understand and react appropriately to any pre-production or production challenges.
• Update existing purchase order information such as unit cost, pack size and shipping details on an as-needed basis to ensure ERP system accuracy.
• Establish and utilize best methods (statistical models and software tools) in creating forecasts and respective inventory targets.
• Make recommended adjustments to forecast and inventory targets based on changes in demand and market trends.
• Lead forecast and inventory planning meetings with Marketing and Sales Managers, reviewing recommended sales forecasts and inventory goals (emphasis on brand transitions, new product introduction, and promotions).
• Manage inventory targets (including safety stock levels).
• Monitor SKU assortment and recommend SKU rationalization initiatives.
• Effectively manage end-of-lifecycle and obsolete inventory while maximizing profit.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Minimum 2-3 years of procurement/purchasing or related experience required
• Solid business acumen and strong analytical and critical thinking skills, with a keen focus on detail and accuracy
• Advanced proficiency in MS Excel with high-caliber data structuring skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with positive, customer-orientation combined with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, fast-paced, deadline-driven and rapidly changing environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and team-building skills
• Mastery of key inventory performance metrics, turns, margin contribution,