- Expired: February 28, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Title: Paralegal II
Benefits: Complete Benefits package including CareFirst BCBS Health insurance
Schedule: 9am-5pm (40 hours per week)
Location: Washington. DC
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant II executes the following duties:
- Assist attorney, provide Legal Clerk review
- Reviews case material and prepares digest of selected decisions/opinions incorporating legal references
- Searches for and summarizes relevant articles in trade magazines, law reviews, published studies, financial reports, and similar materials for use of attorneys in the preparation of opinions, briefs, and other legal documents
- Prepares digests of selected decisions or opinions which incorporate legal references and analyses of precedents involved in areas of well-defined and settled points of law.
- Interviews potential witnesses and prepares summary interview reports for the attorney's review.
- Participates in pre-trial witness conferences, notes possible deficiencies in case materials (e.g. missing documents, conflicting statements) and additional issues or other questionable matters, and requests further investigating by other agency personnel to correct possible deficiencies or personally conducts limited investigations at the pre-trial stage
- Prepares and organizes trial exhibits, as required, such as statistical charts and photographic exhibits
- Verifies citations and legal references on prepared legal documents
- Prepares summaries of testimony and depositions
- Drafts/edits non-legal memoranda, research reports and correspondence relating to cases
- Paralegal Certificate; or High School Diploma/GED with at least two-years' paralegal experience
- FOIA experience preferred
- Trial and automated litigation support experience preferred
- Ability to grasp and understand the organization and functions of the customer
- Knowledge to conduct basic legal research, including standard legal citation
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written, to include legal writing skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and other common software applications, to include databases and legal research tools
- Proven commitment and expertise to provide excellent customer service; positive and flexible
- Ability to work in a team environment, deliver the highest quality of work, and maintain a professional disposition under extreme pressure
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
The United States Attorney's Office (USAO) serves as the nation's principal litigators under the direction of the Attorney General. The Asset Forfeiture Section at the USAO is responsible for the prosecution of both criminal and civil actions against property used or acquired during illegal activity.
Get fresh Paralegal II jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.