We are looking for a Public Involvement Specialist at our office in Houston, TX
We are a Houston-based engineering consulting company established on the cornerstone of transportation. We offer a multidisciplinary blend of planning, engineering and program management services for all types of transportation projects.
· Bachelor level or higher degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field
· 3-5 years of previous Public Involvement experience
· Prefer to have familiarity with NEPA and TxDOT public involvement processes
· Detail-oriented with good writing skills.
· Experience working on TxDOT projects
· Has TxDOT 1.8.1 Public Involvement precertification or ability to acquire 1.8.1 TxDOT precertification
· Ability to travel locally and work during some evenings and weekends as needed.
· Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PDF editor, PowerPoint, and various Graphic tools such as Adobe Creative Suite etc.
· Works well independently, a team player with good people skills.
· Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of individuals and professional levels.
· Bilingual (Spanish) speaking will be a added plus.
· Prepares, coordinates, and successfully implements public involvement programs to facilitate communication about transportation projects, inform various audiences, and get feedback from stakeholders and the public for project acceptance
· Takes ownership and initiative of public involvement tasks to develop effective PI strategies that result in meaningful engagement and communication with the public and project stakeholders
· Ability to inform and educate stakeholders/the public on the purpose, need, benefits, and perceived impacts of the transportation project
· Works with project teams to create comprehensive Public Involvement Plans tailored for each project, as necessary
· Develops and maintains records of stakeholder correspondence.
· Creates and coordinates various communication materials (fact sheets, FAQs, website text, articles, news releases, social media posts, leave-behinds, door hanger notifications, postcards, legal advertisements, exhibit boards, etc.) tailored to various audiences
· Coordinates the dissemination of above-listed information to stakeholders, partners, external agencies, associations, and/or news organizations using print, web, broadcast and/or visual communication media
· Assists in developing content for various client deliverable; works with project teams to develop communication strategy and content.
· Sets up, coordinates, staffs, and helps successfully carry out public meetings and public hearings (including determining location, performing site visits, scheduling, booking court reporters and audio/visual equipment, as well as ensuring proper setup and all required materials are present.
· Builds strong working relationships with clients, project stakeholders/the public; effectively communicates and interacts with a variety of diverse audiences
· Travels and works some evenings/weekends as necessary to facilitate public involvement activities (such as attending public/HOA/MAPO meetings, conducting outreach at community events, etc.)
Ability to handle overall office administration duties such as editing documents, assisting staff members in preparing reports, making appointments, organizing files and preparing office correspondence