CompanyWA River Protection Solutions
Washington River Protection Solutions (WRPS) is the tank farm operating contractor at the Hanford Site located in Richland, WA. The WRPS mission is to safely store, retrieve, and treat 56 million gallons of legacy radioactive and hazardous waste. This complex mission spans all competencies of engineering/science accomplished through a highly integrated organization engineering organization. Engineering at WRPS consists of process engineering, design engineering, nuclear safety, plant/system engineering, construction project engineering, procurement engineering, process and control system engineering, engineering standards/program implementation, and the Chief Technology Office. These areas support all areas of the tank farm mission including Retrievals, Production Operations, Field Projects, Waste Feed Delivery Projects, and long term innovations.
Mechanical engineers are responsible for providing engineering support to the WRPS mission within the Engineering Organization. Duties of the mechanical engineer will typically include design, specification, analysis, testing, control, operation, and maintenance of mechanical systems. These mechanical systems are resident in all existing tank farm facilities and new facilities under design and construction:
* Management of 177 underground single shell (SST) and double shell tank (DST) and interconnected underground/aboveground waste transfer system;
* Development of radioactive waste treatment systems which including filtration, ion exchange, transfer systems;
* Remote retrieval of waste including piping, pumps, valves, jumpers, sluicers, and robotic systems;
* Effluent treatment facility (ETF) with numerous unit operations for final treatment of secondary waste
The specific engineering duties will include the following:
* Assume responsibility for the mechanical system aspects of specific projects/scope including design, application, test, or the preparation of specifications for systems, materials, equipment or components in collaboration with other engineering/science competencies within the team.
* Prepare technical manuals, reports, procedures and deliver technical presentations to engineering, operations, projects, and customer organizations.
* Conduct site/area visits and investigate engineering problems, propose solutions and alternatives and provide recommendations
* Apply technical knowledge toward the reduction of the cost and improvement of systems where possible and incorporate new ideas resulting from engineering/scientific progress in the field.
* Support preparation of scope, cost, and schedules for projects/tasks.
* Problem-solving for complex technical challenges with adaptations of engineering alternatives.
* Verify and comply with engineering documentation standards and test procedures.
* Act as lead on projects and/or mentor less experience engineers
* Ability to execute tasks with minimal oversight
* Ability to solve highly technical problems
BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with 7-9 years experience.
* Registered Professional Certification desired but not required.
* Direct experience with the use of spreadsheet and database software to compile, analyze, and present data
* Familiarity with process improvement methodologies (Six Sigma, lean manufacturing)
Relocation Funding ProvidedYes
U.S. Citizenship RequiredYes
Shift Work RequiredNo
This contractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO It's the Law Poster
Applicants and employees are protected under federal law against discrimination. To view information regarding these rights, please click on these links:
+ EEO is the Law poster
+ EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
+ Pay Transparency Policy Statement