The Staff Accountant provides and updates financial information for management by analyzing accounting data and preparing reports. Daily accounting duties including; accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries.
- Document financial transactions.
- Summarizes current financial status by preparing financial statements and management reports.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies.
- Process and reconcile Accounts Payable.
- Process, reconcile, and collect Accounts Receivable.
- Balance and reconcile the General Ledger.
- Submit weekly payroll taxes, process child support and garnishment payments.
- Ensures legal compliance.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing other duties as needed.
Education and Years of Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Finance or Business Administration or 5+ years of experience in similar role. CPA a plus.
- Thorough understanding of Accounting Principles.
Administrative, Technological and Behavioral Skills:
- Computer Literate - Understanding of the operation of a Personal Computer and peripheral equipment. Experience with Microsoft Office Software (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access) or equivalent.
- Planning and Organizations Skills – Ability to establish priorities and proceed with daily objectives with some direction from upper management. Good attention to details. Ability to multi-task by handling several projects at the same time.
- Good communication skills – Able to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing. Must be able to adjust communication to the applicable audience (able to communicate to all levels of the organization).
- Can do attitude - Pleasant demeanor when interacting with individuals outside/inside the company, even on heated situations.
- Good negotiating skills – Negotiate competitive terms and prices with vendors. Negotiate sound practices, procedures, and other terms with customers without damaging customer relationships.
- Good customer service skills – Sense of urgency: ability to react appropriately to customer demands. Ability to listen/understand customer requirements and communicate these to relevant parties timely. Follow-up with issues brought-up internally/externally that could affect a customer with expediency.
- Confidentiality – Ability to handle customer/company sensitive information with discretion. Access to employee records, customer contracts and possibly proprietary information.
- Sound decision-making skills – Maintain upper management abreast of customer/manufacturing requirements and concerns. Ability to serve as catalyst of daily decisions governed by company controls/policies. Understanding of the “Big Picture”, and how decisions made will have a company wide impact.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge – Attends workshops, seminars, reads trade publications to stay up-to-date of technology and industry trends.
- Ability to handle moderate to high stress due to the pressure of production deadlines. Must be able to handle high mental effort.
- Ability to lift/push up to 15lbs, occasionally. Must be able to work sitting down in a desk for 4-6 hours a day. Able to work in front of a computer 6-8 hours a day. Able to stand 3-4 hours a day.
- Ability to work overtime and travel occasionally.