AC Transit's Legislative Affairs & Community Relations department has an immediate opening for an intern who is a current full-time college junior, college senior or graduate student. This internship provides an excellent opportunity for a student with significant coursework in public administration, public policy, communications, marketing, business or a related discipline. The candidate chosen for this position will not only get excellent paid work experience, but also have exposure to learning and networking opportunities. This internship is only open to students who are currently enrolled in a Bay Area undergraduate or graduate school and can dedicate 16-20 hours during the business week at the District's downtown Oakland office.Major duties of this internship generally include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in development of community outreach strategies for AC Transit projects and initiatives
- Assist with outreach and education for AC Transit's Bus Rapid Transit Project
- Establish, develop and cultivate relationships with community organizations and leaders
- Assist in writing and development of external communications materials
- Assist in development of public awareness campaigns for agency projects and accomplishments
- Assist in the planning and execution of AC Transit events, community meetings, and workshops
- Represent AC Transit in stakeholder meetings and public outreach events
- Outreach to government agencies regarding public transit issues
- Research and recommend positions on transportation related legislation and proposals
College junior, senior or graduate student with significant coursework in public administration, public policy, communications, marketing, business, or related field. Must have strong oral and written communication skills and be enthusiastic about working with the public. Should be organized, flexible, and able to take direction from multiple team members. Proficiency in another language -- such as Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Korean--is not required, but would be helpful. Must be available to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
Experience: Basic skills with MS Word, Excel. Previous professional work experience is not required.Physical Requirements: Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting operating a personal computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment. Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 25 lbs.
Undergraduates are paid $16 - $18 per hour and Graduate students are paid $19 per hour.
Interns may be required to attend events outside of normal business hours.
Instructions/Selection Process: To apply for this opportunity, please submit an online application via the AC Transit website with your resume and cover letter uploaded as attachments. Employment Type: Internship